Can't get this S.O.B. to prime!!

G

GRAYGHOST

Just dropped in new motor built by Andersons...put a H.V. oil pump kit on it, and tried twice to pack it with vaseline and prime on stand with prime tool...no dice....
Dropped motor in car and put on the remote filter set up and dropped about a quart in the line...still nothing.
Took off the H.V. kit, installed original gears, re-installed, poured almost 2 quarts in line to fill up and still no dice after running the prime tool kit with drill for 4 or 5 minutes.
Have filled filter with oil before putting on....out of guessing games here.....:mad:
Has anybody heard of Precisions high volume front covers having any issues??

Throw your thoughts at me, and before anybody asks, I have about 7 quarts in the motor!

are the two oil gallies on the front of the block above the cam pluged. There should be, other wise you won't get any pressure and the oil will just come out of there.

when u fill the oil lines with oil, spin the drill in reverse to prime the pump. after it sucks in about a quart, reconnect the lines and spin it forward.

surej

Originally posted by GRAYGHOST
....out of guessing games here.....:mad:
Has anybody heard of Precisions high volume front covers having any issues??

A few years ago there were issues with new, aftermarket front covers. Seems like some holes were not drilled properly.

Contact the vendor where you purchased it.

Re: Re: Can't get this S.O.B. to prime!!

Originally posted by Nick Micale
A few years ago there were issues with new, aftermarket front covers. Seems like some holes were not drilled properly.

Contact the vendor where you purchased it.

I've had factory GM covers not drilled also.

Mark

Ive had a postons cover not drilled. Remove the oil pump and compare to old front cover. I did the same , tried and tried but it would not prime.

after you verify your "new" front cover is "up to snuff"...be sure to turn the pumpshaft...clockwise!:D ...mike if you need a GOOD stock front cover...i have a few..give me a call later joe:)

This cover was already on the motor when I got it.....I tried spinning the drill in reverse while pouring oil in the lines, then after connecting I spun it clockwise.

When you guys say the covers are not drilled, where is it not drilled? Is this a fix by removing the pump housing, or am I going to have to take the whole front cover off? With my luck it will be the later....:mad:

Be careful!!! I just had this same problem with my motor after a rebuild. The high volume front cover I have is made slightly different than stck as far as the mating surface. The gasket that goes around the gears was not quite large enough in one spot to seal the mating surfaces and I had a leak. Actually, it wouldn't leak any oil, but it would suck in enough air to not allow the pump to pump. I can send pics of what I mean if you want.

Derrick

Bet the cover isn't drilled, and you've got to take it off to fix it. It happened to me. :(

While you are priming, loosen the Oil Filter just a little. When you feel the pressure, tighten it fast. It always works.

Joe

Well, after trying every trick suggested above, I yanked the motor tonight, pulled the pulleys, snatched off the front cover, snatched the old one off and compared....nothing..nada, no differences that I could tell. Checked the gasket, all holes were as they should be....o.k. Pulled the oil pan and checked the pick up tube.....A. O. K..........so W. T. F. !!

I think I'm going to take a friends advice and clean my old 100,000 mile stock cover, do a little home porting of my own, and slap it to the motor! At least I know it works....or did.

Hey, I just realized why I love these cars.......I'm a glutten for punishment!!!:rolleyes:

This would not be that big of a deal if I didn't have a new F.A.S.T. system sitting on the bench smiling at me..

Originally posted by tystick22
are the two oil gallies on the front of the block above the cam pluged. There should be, other wise you won't get any pressure and the oil will just come out of there.

Did ya check this?

Originally posted by GRAYGHOST
Just dropped in new motor built by Andersons...put a H.V. oil pump kit on it, and tried twice to pack it with vaseline and prime on stand with prime tool...no dice....
Dropped motor in car and put on the remote filter set up and dropped about a quart in the line...still nothing.
Took off the H.V. kit, installed original gears, re-installed, poured almost 2 quarts in line to fill up and still no dice after running the prime tool kit with drill for 4 or 5 minutes.

This cover was already on the motor when I got it.....

Is the engine we built for Jeff B.? After reading your posts, did you by chance install a HV oil pump kit on the front cover that was on the engine? The front cover was already an HV cover so if that is the case, the gears would be WAY too short to work.... If the cover was on the engine when you got it, it is probably from us and I am sure it is good as we check all of them, if it came from somewhere else, check it thoroughly!
Its not the galley plugs, we tap them and use pipe plugs. I sent a PM, if you dont get it figured out call me at the shop...

We use the correct "short" plugs.Our plugs are shorter than the factory garbage cup plugs. It wouldnt matter if the plug blocked the hole or not as far as pressure goes. if you take your reading from the stock location you would still have pressure.
From reading the post, I still think the problem lies with installing a HV oil pump kit on a cover that was already an HV cover to begin with , gears would then be 1/$" shorter, but maybe not...

Re: Re: Can't get this S.O.B. to prime!!

Originally posted by EightSecV6
Is the engine we built for Jeff B.?

Yep, that's the one. I talked to Jeff yesterday and he was going to talk to Billy about it. He taold me ya'll never had issues with Precisions covers. It beats anything I have ever seen.
I started with a spacer plate, then after a couple attempts, I put the gears in it Jeff gave me and still nothing.:confused:

Let me get home for kunch and I'll give you a call when I've got my hands on it....thanks for looking out.

Originally posted by EightSecV6
I still think the problem lies with installing a HV oil pump kit on a cover that was already an HV cover to begin with , gears would then be 1/$" shorter, but maybe not...

The gears for the H.V. pump kit where longer than the stock...or am I crazy.

I swear I've done this before and never had a problem.

The HV gears are longer than stock, but you don't need the spacer plate that you would use with the hv gears on a stock cover because the hv front cover already has deeper pockets. Try just the hv gears without the spacer plate.

Originally posted by ijames
The HV gears are longer than stock, but you don't need the spacer plate that you would use with the hv gears on a stock cover because the hv front cover already has deeper pockets. Try just the hv gears without the spacer plate.

That is how I was trying to explain it Carl....thanks!

O.K. I understand that, but what about trying twice with the gears Jeff gave me with it? Were they possibly not correct?