Can you run two relays on the FAST fan curcuit

X-FORD MAN

I want to run both my fan and water pump off the fan switch of my FAST, will the driver handle the current of two relays?
TIA!

Yes, the relays require very, very little current. No problem for the FAST.

You could also run the 12V+ from the output of the first relay to the input/trigger of the 2nd relay, so the FAST only triggers one relay (the first relay powers the fan plus the second relay).

On the other hand, why do you want to run your water pump only part-time? I would be very worried about hot spots and overheating. I would think you would want to run the water pump separately. I assume this race-only?

-Bob Cunningham

I may be incorrect, but I think the FAST shuts off the fan at WOT. I know DFI and stock ecm do this. I used to trigger my water pump relay off the fuel pump relay. This way, you never forget to turn it on, it's always on when the engine is running, and it doesn't pull the battery down when the key is on/engine off.

Actually, I would not run two relays off of the same output. Some relays draw a little more than one might think. I do agree completely though that the water pump should ALWAYS run if the engine is on. I would guess that you would wreck the motor trying to cycle the water pump based on engine temp.

And yes, the ECU will shut the fan output off above 80% TPS. At WOT, maintaining battery voltage is more critical on an EFI car than it is on a carbed car. The fan is often a huge drain on the charging system, and it's more important for the fuel pump and injectors to work properly than it is for the fan to work at WOT, especially since most cars are rarely at WOT for more than, say, a 1/4 mile pass.

The fans shutting off on the Race track is not good in my opinion, my car runs over 210 by the time i hit the traps, I put a separate switch in, bypassed , it works great now, wont go over 180

So in the 12-ish seconds that you go down the track, unless your fan is running your engine heats up 30 degrees? I find that very hard to believe.

Something else is going on.

-Bob Cunningham

Having the water pump motor turn on and off with the FAST fan switch is simulating a thermostat right??? I wanted to run this configuration to cool my car down in the pits, with the engine off I could key the ignition and have the fan and water pump run till it reached my predetermined shut down temperature. This way I wouldn't forget and leave it running and kill the battery. But now knowing the FAST cuts out the fan at 80% TPS, this configuration is out of the question.
Craig, On runs, I have data logged as low as 12.1 volts, what is the lowest voltage you've seen without any ill effects to the FAST.
Thanks Guys!

If this were my car, I would try to rig it up so it runs something like this:

- Electric water pump comes on with the fuel pump (i.e. the fuel pump relay turns on the water pump relay)

- Fan comes on with the FAST unit

- The water pump can *also* come on with the fan

Depending on how you wire it, you might need two relays in parallel for the water pump, or maybe a single relay and some diodes so stuff doesn't come on inadvertantly. It will take some thinking, but it is certainly possible.

-Bob Cunningham

Its true, boost creates alot of heat, or my temperature gauge is way off, il have to log it to be sure

X Ford regarding voltage minimums at WOT.

I have seen the voltage drop to 11.8 volts on a WOT blast and it did not affect the ECM or injectors. There is a volt booster and a 220 amp alternator on the car. This was using the datalog on a dyno. The fan was running too.

Be careful with voltage and FAST systems. You need a solid 12 volts coming from the charging system to run the ECM correctly. I have seen where low voltage would cause us to run the injectors more to compensate and once we fixed the problem all of a sudden we were rich across the board on the fuel map.

I like Cals' idea about running the fuel pump and water pump from the same circuit.

From runs on the track, I have seen the temp go up because the fan switches off but once you pass the lights and are in the return lane the motor was cooling back down.

Hope this helps

low ECM volts

If the volts to the ECM get lower than 9.6v the ecm bails out and shuts down. probably due to large draws by the injectors and fans at that low volts.

So Craig....if you dont think it is safe to run 2 relays off the fan circuit, would it be ok to have the one relay trip the other to turn on both fans?

i would also think that your car going 100+ mph would move alot more air across the radiator then any fan could provide?