Can you drive our cars on 87 Octane stock

V8killR4U

I was looking for a Daily Driver and have come across a GN, mostly stock. No chip, no filter, no injectors, etc. Stock boost. Would it be ok to fill it up with 87 Octane or does it have to have 93?

You can put it in the tank, but it would be a bad idea. Kinda like running it into a telephone pole. You can do it but it's not a good idea. :cool: Seriously, with 87 in the tank you'll end up with a boken car. My .02

Even at stock boost?

Maybe Ill just get a lil honda civic or any 4 cyl to get back and forth to work and save on gas :eek:
BlackBandit said:
You can put it in the tank, but it would be a bad idea. Kinda like running it into a telephone pole. You can do it but it's not a good idea. :cool: Seriously, with 87 in the tank you'll end up with a boken car. My .02

You can do it. I did when in college and poor as hell. Drive it easy. Absolutely no WOT passes. Mine would knock ~8psi on 87 so I would turn the boost down to at least 8. Looking back, it only cost a couple extra dollars to fill up with 91.

If you look on the instrument panel it specifies premium fuel. (below the gauge) You could put it in and drive easy but like cool84 said, it knocks really easy. As far as turning down the boost goes the stock wastegate spring is 12 # so that's about as far down as it goes. I had a chip with too much timing in it and it would knock at 12 psi on 91. Also like cool84 said it's only a couple bucks more per tank to run premium. FWIW stock boost is ~15#.

The stock chip had 22 degrees of timing at wot, most current aftermarket 93 octane chips have 18-20 degrees of timing. Get one with 18, turn the boost down as far as you can for when you forget to drive gently, and learn to drive never making over over 5-6 psi boost and you will be okay. Get a knock gauge or scanmaster or ride with a laptop and learn to watch for knock. It is all about self control, but if we had that we wouldn't have bought these cars, would we :)?

For a decent brand of octane boost, you might as well just put the premium in. Either way, it's gonna cost about the same.

but it can be done right. reason im askin is i can get 87 cheaper through co op (farm exempt) then put a good octane booster.

There is a thread on this in the other web sites that is almost the same address as this one, try adding a "s" after the k in buick. Go to the Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous section and look for "87 octane with Razor's kit". It is worth reading, and let me just say that it is being done by a member over there and the boost is still way up there.
Chuck

Yes, you can drive it just fine on 87 octane that's what I have in mine. When it's not in boost it's only a 6 cylinder so it drives fine. But don't plan on runinng kewl boost levels on it, the most I can get is 12psi b4 knock but I don't get on it much anyway.

ks :cool:

The vast majority of octane boosters are a total waste of money. There's one that's getting good reviews out there called 'Torco'(haven't tried that one yet). Supposedly- it ACTUALLY DOES raise octane levels. It'd be nice to save all that money on gas through the co-op, but what a price to pay: should the engine spit a head gasket :eek: !

OH- You might try mixing 20% xylene or toluene with your gas(that's 1 gal. booster per 4 gal. of gas). That's supposed to boost 93 octane gas to over 100 octane(if I'm not mistaken). Haven't had to try that one yet either. How much are you going to save per gal. at the co-op anyway?

I think ill just be using premium ;) I was just curious and yeh its only a few bukc more to fill up.

It can and has been done although you'll give away your performance to run on 87. My friends sister has an old turbo T she drives back and forth to school. Being a student and having a really long drive each way we opted to burn a chip that would work with 87 octane. It has low timing and no wastegate duty cycle. You can run about 10 psi boost before you get detonation. She's been driving it like that for about 4 years now.

Neal

Look at my daily driver. I sold my nice F-150 truck just so I could afford parts for the GN and I paid $1000 cash for that little Pontiac. It's strictly a A-B car but going from a 18mpg F-150 to 35mpg 4 cyl feels great on the wallet when you drive 84 miles each day to work and back. At first it hurt my pride going from something so nice to a POS rustbucket, but now I don't miss it a bit and I can afford nice $hit for the GN. Hit up autotrader.com and find yourself a deal!

I gave up my 05 Dakota 4x4 4 door for a $1000 94 Tercel. I was driving 55 miles each way to work. This car saves me a ton of money. 30mpg on the highway if I keep it under 80.