Can you clearance the girde instead of the caps?

Turbo'dBuick

I put 3 billet caps on the my block I have a girdle even though really not needed, but wanted to know if I can cut the girdle to clearance rather then the caps? Would me much easer to do on our mill. & if I can you think it will work as well as cutting the cap?

I put 3 billet caps on the my block I have a girdle even though really not needed, but wanted to know if I can cut the girdle to clearance rather then the caps? Would me much easer to do on our mill. & if I can you think it will work as well as cutting the cap?

Alot of material has to be taken off of the caps and the gurlde is only about 1" thick so milling the gurdle would significantly weeken the gurdle itself rendering it useless and at that point why even install one.

I think this would be a very bad idea.... you need two completely flat surfaces.... and if you clearanced the girdle.... not only would it remove strength....but the tops of the caps are not flat all the way across... bolt hole to bolt hole...

Just MHO