Can the grill be painted?

fireberd350

I dropped my bumpers and fillers off to be painted and figured while I was at it would see if they could paint my grill too.

I'm having second thoughts for fear that it will come out like crap.

Any suggestions? Should I call ASAP and cancel painting of the grill?

The grille can be painted. I entertained the idea of painting my grille gloss. The only reason I decided not to is the satin finish on the grille matches the finish on the headlight bezels and also matches the satin look of the rubber bump strips on the bumpers.

My 82' had the crappy fake chrome peeling off when I bought it. Took off grill, wire brush, Scrubbed and rinsed well with a good degreaser SEVERAL TIMES, let dry good, Primer, paint, clear coat to protect ( I didn't do the clear coat now I have to redo it from chips hittin the grill). Better pics at cardomain.com (same username) Hung mine from twine to get at all the tight angles while painting. Turned out good. Good luck!

I painted my grill and headlight bezel's. First de-greased, then sanded with steel wool and real fine sand paper. De-greased and cleaned again, then use either SEM satin black, or you can get some satin black paint at Eastwood Co. Pretty simple to do. I don't have the hundreds for new ones :frown:

My grill is at the body shop now. They said as long as its sanded real good it will come out OK. They can add adhesive agents and flex additives to it which will help the longevity of it. I told them to hold off for now. I still want to do some more research as the grille currently is is decent shape as-is.

I painted my grill and headlight bezel's. First de-greased, then sanded with steel wool and real fine sand paper. De-greased and cleaned again, then use either SEM satin black, or you can get some satin black paint at Eastwood Co. Pretty simple to do. I don't have the hundreds for new ones :frown:

I might go the route you took painting the grill, SEM satin black, my grill paint is starting to fade now.

Steve do what Mike said here will look and work the best! I would NOT have a body shop paint it. My body shop actually will use the process Mike described so I have no problems when he does parts like that for me but make sure first or they will ruin it.

i can do that process at home, no problem. i googled SEM Satin black and got a gazillion different products. Do you have any Product #'s?

Steve, get a quart marhyde (probaly spelled that wrong) black satin. Theres a supply place in tinicum that sells there stuff but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I'll look through my stuff tonight to see if I can find the paperwork.
Have the body shop sand the grill with scoth brite to smooth it out and have the wipe the grill with a prep solvant and tach cloth then have the grill sprayed in the booth with the black satin. I did this myself to my grill 8 years ago. It looks 100% OEM; when you spray it with spray paint it never looks perfect. I havent had any paint chip off it or anything it still looks perfect. If you want to look at mine stop over. -Ed