Can someone help us out here? [LONG]

mike85gn

Get Bent!
Here is the conversation I've been having with a fellow Buick enthusiast by e-mail. He can't check the boards for some reason or something, so I thought I'd get your thoughts by posting our conversations here. They go from most recent to least recent (ass-backwards).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, try this as a baseline. Go with about 45 psi of fuel pressure, but start working with lower boost levels. I would suggest starting at 12 psi or so. Makes it a lot easier to rule out false knock or any other high boost culprits. Your idle TPS voltage is high - should ideally be under .42 but over .36 on a hot air. With the coil pack, you should see no more that 13.5 Kohms between the towers. Follow the IAC reset procedure on www.gnttype.org and try and get it perfect. You may be a little rich at lower revs. The plug wire resistances look good. What is the gap on the plugs and what kind are they? Also, when at idle, give the MAF sensor a nice solid tap. If you notice the engine characteristics change (car dies or sputters, idle fluctuates) then you may have a bad MAF reading either too righ or lean. Check your PCV valve as well. You will notice the power increase dramatically as you lean it out, up until you start knocking too badly. Have you tried a new O2 sensor? I'm going to ask around and see if I can find anyone close to you with a scantool who can lend a hand. There should be several in the Indy area.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
To: mikey
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: gn bug

Went out and made another try.40# fuel pressure,17# boost.Seem to start missing sooner so I upped the fuel pressure in steps to 48 with no change.I checked plug wires but dont know what it should be here it is 1-1.054 2-.687 3-.684 4-.741 5-.565 6-.973 tps is .448-idle and 4.67 wot.This is a cheap sears meter so if the #s dont make sense let me know and I can bring my good one home from work.Also it seemed real cold natured after dropping fuel pressure.(worse than normal) power did seem better.I live in spencer IN. Thats about 60 miles south of Indy and would have no problem driving 100 miles to put it on a scanner if thats what needs to be done. scottie
To: scottie sips
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 4:59 PM

Hi Scottie,

First off the fuel pressure you have listed there is at least 25# too high. Normally we start around 40 pounds of pressure with the vac. line off and tune from there. You should be able to run at least 15-16 psi boost on good pump gas. Also, have you had a look at the coil pack? Mine was popping and had some power issues. Double check plugs, gap, wires, coil pack, and make sure the cam sensor is properly set. I would also put the stock chip in for diagnostic purposes so we can pretty much eliminate any timing issues. But popping sounds like some richness on the part of the engine. Leaning it out a good bit should really wake it up. Not unheard of for nearly bone stock hot airs rip the 1/8th in 9-flat. You should easilly be above that mark. Let me know what else you find. If you have a scantool, send all of the numbers. If not, maybe I can find someone in your area who does and wouldn't mind getting some recordings for us to see.

Thanks,
Mike
To: mikey
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 4:21 PM

Hi. Tried one web site and it had some good info. but didn't cover my problem.The other site was over my head as far as computers go.I got logged in but couldn't seem to go anywhere.Whatever advice you have or questions you have please send an email.If this isn't figured out soon I will go back to a big block.I fired this turbo motor up about 6 months ago and worked on it in all my spare time ever since.The best 1/8 mile time I have got in 4 passes is 9.12 with a scary popping noise starting at about half track.The last pass was only 13# boost and 65# fuel pressure w/ vac.line disc.I even tried unplugging the knock detector last night but it still missed out.For some reason it is worse when I power brake it before standing on throttle.This motor is in about a 3000# car which according to all the info. I have dug up should put me in the 7s with my 700 trans. and 2800 stall and 3.50 gears. appreciate any help you can give me Scottie
To: scottie sips
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 10:11 PM

Hi there,

Send me your current combination along
with any other information you've gathered such
as error codes, scantol data, odd noises, smells
and other such things. it is generally something
simple like vaccum or poor fuel delivery. These
fuel injected cars need to be carefully tuned in
order to run their best. Please give me all of the
details, as well as try www.turbobuick.com and
www.turbbuicks.com as their hot air tech sections
may have information regarding your current
problems.

Thanks,
Michael Bonneau
Manitoba Grand National Association
To: scorched62@home.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 8:02 PM
Subject: gn bug

Hi I have a problem with my 84 gn motor that I hope you or someone at this site can help me with.This is my first try at fuel inj./turbos and it been a big challange.My recipe for the most part came from this web site and its been a big help as no one around here seems to know anything about it.I am sure someone out there has had the some problem I have.Could you please send me a address to email my combination to so they can look it over and see if something looks out of place. scottie sipy@ccrtc.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything you can contribute would be a great help. Thanks!