Can pedestals be clearanced for roller rockers with the heads on the motor??

DonnieShort

Who's Next?
I received my 1.65 Harland Sharps today thinking I'm finally gonna get this thing together only to find out that that they don't fit. They had been on back order for nearly 3 months. The bottom of the rocker arm doesn't clear the pedestal shaft. I had researched these and from what I had read they were a bolt on with no modifications. Even vendors websites say they are for stock iron heads and mentions nothing about machining the pedestals. What do I do now? Had I've known they needed clearanced I could have had my machine shop trim them down while they had the heads 2 months ago. I don't know what to do. I have the motor completly together, torqued down and ready to go and I am not taking this freaking thing back apart and ruining my Cometic hg's or the intake gaskets or anything else for that matter to have the pedestals trimmed down. I'm so frustated right now. So I guess here's the question. Can the pedestals be trimmed down while the heads are on the motor? All help is greatly appreciated!

My buddy did one at his shop. Has to be done very carefully and cover everything. The metal filings get everywhere.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The only one's that were true bolt on roller rocker's were Kenne Bell.

You could do the job on the car but like it was said you really have to be carefull.

Personally, i would probably put the stock rockers back on and wait untill the day comes when you need head gaskets etc.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Turn up the boost and have some fun! :D If the HG's go south, then machine the heads. Roller rockers aren't needed on most stock irons heads IMO.

DR

I forgot to say that the motor is on the stand from a fresh build, low - mid 10 rebuild. P&p irons, ductile roller, beehive springs, 30 over forged pistons, CPT 70 p trim .82 housing, 5 disc lock 6pump Vigilanti etc., so I feel I need to run roller rockers at this power level. I think I've come up with a way to clearance these without having to pull it apart. I'll post back if it works in the next day or two. Thanks for the input.

DonnieShort said:
I forgot to say that the motor is on the stand from a fresh build, low - mid 10 rebuild. P&p irons, ductile roller, beehive springs, 30 over forged pistons, CPT 70 p trim .82 housing, 5 disc lock 6pump Vigilanti etc., so I feel I need to run roller rockers at this power level. I think I've come up with a way to clearance these without having to pull it apart. I'll post back if it works in the next day or two. Thanks for the input.

If its on the stand try cutting plastic sheeting so the rocker pedstals fit through the tighest holes you can get over them, tape that in place and flip the motor upside down and clearance them that way so that gravity works for you. I hear you on the intake gasket but the cometics should be multiuse especially if the motor has never been fired.

Just an idea,

WOW, I think I am in the same boat as you except my engine is in the car with everything ready to go but the rockers. I changed over to a ductile roller, and have been waiting for the rockers since there was snow on the ground. I’m supposed to get my rockers today.
Let me know what you decide to.
Thanks,
Mike

!

Stick some lint free rags in all the holes,put plastic sheeting over the pedestals,tape the plastic over the pedestals,use a shop vac to help pull the filings away. Be very anal about it and you'll be ok. ;)

ITSAV6 said:
Stick some lint free rags in all the holes,put plastic sheeting over the pedestals,tape the plastic over the pedestals,use a shop vac to help pull the filings away. Be very anal about it and you'll be ok. ;)

That's exactly the plan. I have some surgical bags that are stretchable and will cover the entire motor. Almost a motor condom if you will. I'm able to stretch this stuff over the entire motor and cut the slits just enough for the pedestals to stick through. And since the motor is on the stand I can turn it sideways and let gravity lend a hand. I'll post my results tonight or in a day or two.

Russ Merritt said:
I have faith in ya........ It's possible!!!

It's done!! Worked like a charm. I used stretchy surgical bags and stretched them over the intake and down over the head. Cut a small slit just enough for the pedestal to poke through and used a cutting wheel and trimmed them down. It was actually pretty easy. Not really much of a mess either. The bags caught everything. Afterwards, I removed the bags ( very carefully :D ) and ran a small magnet around everyting to see if it picked anything up. All was good shape. I used some brake cleaner to wipe the inside of the head down and it was good too. Put the rockers on and they are a perfect fit. Finally I've had a bit of good luck!!! BTW, Russ I'm still laughing about what you said on the phone yesterday!! After the last two days, I needed a good laugh!! :D

Hey Donnie,
When you have a chance could you post a pic or two? I would like to see how much material you removed.
Thanks,
Mike

Ok, i just got done installing mine. I used the same method as donnie, used heavy plastic wrap to cover everything except the work area. I used my dremel tool to grind away the material, which worked surprisingly well.
Now i just found out that i need new valve covers or spacers :rolleyes:
I was told that the 1.55 would work with stock covers. Oh well, what next.
Thanks for the good info.
Mike

T&D roller rockers Also need pedestals notched

THE same problem has cropped up with me also, I have been waiting for 2 months for a set of 1.6 Ratio roller rockers from Poston's.

I called them twice to see if they had them in stock and ASKED if they were a bolt on with out having to grind down the 8445 stock iron head rocker shaft pedestals, THEY assured me they would bolt right up, but they did not have them, SO I ordered a pair and they finnally came in yesterday, IT says in the instructions that the pedestals MAY have to be machined, but i also says if you got 1.6 or higher ratio , that the push-rod holes will have to be enlarged.

Well today my mechanic installed the roller rockers on the heads and scared them up, goughing the aluminum over the sides and chewing up the half moon end washers,

SO he ground the pedestals down with an air tool and a shroud made from half and oil bottle, soaked up all the oil and then had to disasemmble the rockers and file the ends smooth while straighening the washers up.

WHY WON'T they come out and say it in LARGE print , WILL NOT FIT STOCK HEADS without machine work??

NOT HAPPY !!

BLACKHAWK38 said:
THE same problem has cropped up with me also, I have been waiting for 2 months for a set of 1.6 Ratio roller rockers from Poston's.

I called them twice to see if they had them in stock and ASKED if they were a bolt on with out having to grind down the 8445 stock iron head rocker shaft pedestals, THEY assured me they would bolt right up, but they did not have them, SO I ordered a pair and they finnally came in yesterday, IT says in the instructions that the pedestals MAY have to be machined, but i also says if you got 1.6 or higher ratio , that the push-rod holes will have to be enlarged.

Well today my mechanic installed the roller rockers on the heads and scared them up, goughing the aluminum over the sides and chewing up the half moon end washers,

SO he ground the pedestals down with an air tool and a shroud made from half and oil bottle, soaked up all the oil and then had to disasemmble the rockers and file the ends smooth while straighening the washers up.

WHY WON'T they come out and say it in LARGE print , WILL NOT FIT STOCK HEADS without machine work??

NOT HAPPY !!

I know how you feel. It was an easy fix though, just would've been nice to know before I bolted everything up. Machine shop could've done it in 2 minutes while they had the heads. The push rod holes on mine were fine though. I have 1.65 Harland Sharps and there doesn't seem to be any clearance issues there, nothing in my instructions either. Anybody ever have to enlarge the push rod holes after putting in higher ratio roller rockers???