Can I run low 12's with this combo???

W

Weedo

I recently bought an 86 GN with all of the "upgrades" needed to get it in excellent stock form. I'm going to put on:

36# Bosch Injectors
TE-44 or TA-49 turbo
Hooker exhaust
THDP
Dut-Intercooler neck
Upgraded Oil intake(thingamabobby)
Nitto Drag Radials

I want to be able to run low 12's on a "street chip" using crappy gas (91 is the best we get in Arizona).

Is this possible?

Of course i'll have a "race" chip for the track but...

I think you should try this first , Race gas , more boost , good fuel pump, adj regulator , fuel psi gauge , run about 23lbs you may be surprised how fast you go . i would do 009 inj over 36lbs room to grow on them . forget trying high boost on 91 , ohh get a scanmaster or scan tool to tune , check Jeff foxworths(something like that ) recipie on the turbobuick website , im unsure of the exact Http , check yahoo search . :p

Far,Far,Far from an expert-but i can tell you from your combo----you are a racechip,adj. wastegate, and maybe some racegas away.

good luck,

Geoff

What i'm really looking for is a low 12 car that can run on 91 Octane, safely. I don't want to run $5.00 per gallon race fuel all the time. I know it would mean a chip that is tuned for that Octane fuel and timing that's not as advanced. I have no problem with more bolt-ons if that's what's needed. But what i'm looking for is this:

A combination of parts that will give me a safe, low 12 second car, running on Nitto Drags or the like, using 91 Octane fuel.

If I hit the track, sure, i'll put in the race chip and race fuel...

Not w/o race gas... You almost need to build a 10 second motor to be able to run low 12's on 91 oct.

ks:cool:

Well, you've got the stuff you need, except for the fuel coverage. 91 octane just ain't gonna cut it, as everyone said! The only way around that, would be to make the investment into a nice SMC alcohol injection kit, which will net out less than race fuel over time. (I think they're about $300). The alcohol will offer a nice cooling effect, as well as raise the effective octane rating thereof. I know people running 24psi on 93 octane. Just keep in mind, if you chinch on the fuel system anywhere, you'll suffer for it. I loved my 36#ers, and went 12.49 with them in full street trim, and 11.90's with them in race trim on 104 octane. However, as someone mentioned, a good set of 42.5's would yield room for growth, and "peace of mind" currently.

Of course, Arizona's heat isn't going to help you much, but as they always tell me,,, "it's a dry heat...:rolleyes: )
Check with a guy on this forum named "AZGN", as he runs high tens, and lives in your neck of the woods...

2 words - ALCHY INJECTION...

I second that. I am running dual alky with 91 octane at 22psi. FEELS SWEET! Have you been to Nicks place yet. If not its only a matter of time.

Originally posted by Weedo
I recently bought an 86 GN with all of the "upgrades" needed to get it in excellent stock form. I'm going to put on:

36# Bosch Injectors
TE-44 or TA-49 turbo
Hooker exhaust
THDP
Dut-Intercooler neck
Upgraded Oil intake(thingamabobby)
Nitto Drag Radials

I want to be able to run low 12's on a "street chip" using crappy gas (91 is the best we get in Arizona).

Is this possible?

Of course i'll have a "race" chip for the track but...

With that exact combination, and stipulating a street chip and LOW octane fuel, you'll probably be seeing low 13's.

Keep in mind, if you insist on running with a "street chip", and low octane fuel, then you'll need a combination that can easilly run a full second and a half quicker in race trim (race chip, race gas, race boost).

Even if you add alky, and are able to crank the boost up to 20 or so. You're still running with another crutch, the street chip.

As mentioned before, there is no getting around a good fuel system and octane for these cars. Besides the alky mentioned, there is always the propane injection Jay C. is coming out with soon. Also with the translator plus for a LT1 MAF, you can adjust the timing in case you add some good fuel or Xylene.

And of couse the Max Effort which does not use the O2 sensor, and you don't have to worry about killing it with the good race fuel. I think it has a thumbwheel to adjust settings/timing for different fuel. A lot of good options, I know I will be trying out the propane and ME eventually.

The way I think about the fuel is yea, it costs more for the race gas or Xylene, but I don't imagine there are too many cars that octane helps out so much. A splurge on $$ for high octane, crank up the boost, maybe a $25 100 Thrasher chip, good tune, and you have a car a full second faster in the quarter than without this....priceless :cool: .

you're gonna need my car to run low 12's on our crappy gas......without good fuel, you will limit yourself to stock type perfromance (14's if you are lucky......remember , gas was much better 15 years ago)

I think somebody sells a system where you can switch to race fuel on the fly so to speak. Like you have a max effort chip with settings for 91 octane and another for race fuel. So when you want to you switch the ME to the race fuel setting and have some type of switch to change where the fuel comes from. Naturally you would have a fuel cell with a pump mounted in your trunk.

Anybody done this?

Wow, that really sucks. I had an '01 Lightning that would click off high 12's or low 13's consistently running on Arizona 91 Octane crap. I was hoping to best those times ALL THE TIME not just when running in "full race trim".

Arizona guys 'n gals -
If everyone is running race fuel all the time, where do you buy it and what's the cost?? Do you only run with a race chip and not a street chip?

Re: Re: Can I run low 12's with this combo???

Originally posted by TurboDave

Even if you add alky, and are able to crank the boost up to 20 or so. You're still running with another crutch, the street chip.

I've ran ~11.70's with straight 91 octane, 24 psi boost, 22 degree Extender chip, 100% denatured alchy, and slicks for traction in my GN. Just like I drive it on the street but with a tire change.

With alchy you will want to step up to a good 100 octane chip that has higher timing and can support higher boost levels. 91 octane seems to work best from my experience if you bring on the higher timing WOT at 4,000 and above LV8 94-100% while leaving the lower timing tables similar to a 93 octane chip so no transitional knock occurs. Works for me.

Don't worry you will be able to best those times. You just need to add either an alky, or propane kit (when it comes out) and a better chip (100 octane). At about 20 psi you should be able to get at least high 12's (if the traction is there).

where do you buy it and what's the cost??

You can get it at the Pavillions in Scottsdale or just east of I10 on Chandler BLVD at a mobile. Its a little over $4 a gallon last I checked.

So it looks as if i'll have to run the alky. When you get it all set up ($350 or so from what i understand) what is the cost of the alky, how much do you use, and where do you buy it? I'm assuming it's set to inject alky all the time, even when driving around "normally"?

I just can't imagine paying $4.25 per gallon, or $100 per tank full, that's insane!!

I dont know how much it costs or anything, but I dont think it sprays the alky all the time..I'm pretty sure the pumps kick in when the boost gets to a certain amount, or once detonation occurs (whichever comes first).
So basically it only kicks in when you need it..if I stumble into $400 I'd get me one of these bad boys..
If you have alky, can you run a race chip on the street all the time??

Some run race chips with mostly stock turbos which are dead at 22psi. you need the race timing. Working on that with my GN now. But I have to get to 22psi. first on a good low timing street chip.

Others run higher boost and lower timing suitable for 100 octane gas or so with bigger turbos.

It is a tuning experience for sure. Results are more than worth it.

But once you hit over 22psi. on pump gas and alky. you will be doing this :) and :cool: