Can FP be bad even if runs on hot wire?

#1HotRod

I'm thinking have a bad fuel pump anyway. Took wife to car show, on leaving thinking of dinner car started mild sputtering & had to coax it with gas pedal mixed with periods of running fine. Took it home & changed cars for going to dinner. This morning it will start, run 3-4 sec & die of seemingly gas starvation. If I peddle it, it will run a sec. more. Seems that sometimes with ignition on engine off, the FP is not running, but not 100% sure. So under the hood I hot wire that brown FP connector (that lies in the loom running behind alt) & FP runs constantly, but louder/strong & sometime a gurgling sound. Tank is almost 1/3 full. Car seems to start little easier & runs a whole 1-2 sec. longer. So...can a FB still be failing even if it seems to operate when hot-wired? That I can fix, not so much on any complicated electronics.
I'll bet this is not a GN first; replies are greatly appreciated.

Giving it more power does nothing if it's a mechanical failure.

You sound like you have no test equipment. You can't really troubleshoot without the right tools. Do you have a scanmaster? Hook a fuel pressure gauge to the injector rail and find out what it's putting out. Sounds like it could be a lot of things to me.

A gurgling sound could be a lot of things, too. Are you sure that it's not the heater core?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking have a bad fuel pump anyway. Took wife to car show, on leaving thinking of dinner car started mild sputtering & had to coax it with gas pedal mixed with periods of running fine. Took it home & changed cars for going to dinner. This morning it will start, run 3-4 sec & die of seemingly gas starvation. If I peddle it, it will run a sec. more. Seems that sometimes with ignition on engine off, the FP is not running, but not 100% sure. So under the hood I hot wire that brown FP connector (that lies in the loom running behind alt) & FP runs constantly, but louder/strong & sometime a gurgling sound. Tank is almost 1/3 full. Car seems to start little easier & runs a whole 1-2 sec. longer. So...can a FB still be failing even if it seems to operate when hot-wired? That I can fix, not so much on any complicated electronics.
I'll bet this is not a GN first; replies are greatly appreciated.

put a fuel pressure gauge on it at the fuel rail as mentioned .. this will tell all .

does sounds like a FP though ..