Can anyone help with a honda tech question?

turbosam6

My cars suck
My g/f 89 honda civic was a bi*ch to start today, never has been before. Battery was fine, but it cranked real funny, like 2 turns fast then 1 slow. It would stutter like it wanted to start, then crank slow. I pumped the gas while cranking and it fired up, ran like crap and stumbled for about 5 or 10 seconds, then smoothed out. Car has new timing belt, tune up, etc. After it ran, I shut it off, and now it starts fine. Only problem with the car right now is a crappy exhaust system. Anybody got an idea as to what could cause this? Its cold here, but its been colder recently, and it started fine. Seems to run OK when I drove it. Thanks for any help!

It sounds like the rice is a bit underdone maybe let it boil a bit longer.

Oops!:eek: I'm sorry wrong thread.:D :D :D

Yeah, its a honda, but I can't make fun since my Gn breaks about 50 times as often. At least its stock, and I'm not trying to pass it off as fast. And its not my car. Its her car, which as you men know, makes it my responsibility to fix. See?

Sounds like the little honda was flooded,the only wierd thing is the cranking fast then slow part, starter could be on its way out?Hey and there is nothing wrong with driven a little stock honda those things rarely break down.But in my opinion not ment to be a hotrod.

Thats what I was thinking, was that it was flooded. But how? I guess a leaking injector could flood it. I put a new starter on it about 20,000 miles ago.

In very cold weather its easy to flood those little cars we get them towed in at work all the time at Honda dealer.

Originally posted by turbosam6
My g/f 89 honda civic was a bi*ch to start today, never has been before. Battery was fine, but it cranked real funny, like 2 turns fast then 1 slow. It would stutter like it wanted to start, then crank slow. I pumped the gas while cranking and it fired up, ran like crap and stumbled for about 5 or 10 seconds, then smoothed out. Car has new timing belt, tune up, etc. After it ran, I shut it off, and now it starts fine. Only problem with the car right now is a crappy exhaust system. Anybody got an idea as to what could cause this? Its cold here, but its been colder recently, and it started fine. Seems to run OK when I drove it. Thanks for any help!

Sounds like for some reason it was flooded. The newer cars do this I think because the low tension rings dont seal well when washed with gas. If it happens again, it would be a good idea to have it checked for a cold start enrichment problem.

My accord does this too. If I leave it outside it will pop and bang for about 30 seconds after it first starts and make a big cloud of black smoke. If its raining it wont start at all. I just park it in the barn at night, it usually starts the next day then. If we get an answer I'll be very happy.

First of all what year of car are you talking about?If it rains it wont start. If it is an older car check wires and o-ring around cap of distirbuter.