Can a block be welded?

REGALTURBO

I Am The Master..Master..
Not a criticle area. Fell off an engine stand and has a hair line crack on the edge of the block by the head surface about 1/4 of an inch up. Is it possible to be welded and have it machined?

Can be bought cheap and I`m looking for a spare to keep in the garage.

i'll sell you a virgin 109 block $300 in connecticut.

yes the can be welded.my tta heads were both cracked and they were sent off to champion as cores to be welded and fixed.so if cast iron heads can be fixed i can not see why a block can not. weather or not it is worth it is another question? i believe it was like $200 extra to get my heads fixed?

hope this helps. if interested in block pm or call me 203 213 9126

Yes it can be welded and yes it's expensive. the block has to be brougt up to a temp almost the same as the weld before welding it and then welded and cooled slowly to keep from cracking in a different location. The only other way I know of is sonic welding and it's about the same cost. You'll spend more than $300 so go look at the other block first.

weld

Yes is can but it will never be the same -been there and done that , my two cents is buy another block ..

If its a stock block forget it. Buy a used one for $300 and save a lot of aggravation. You will have to have it notched, all the oil burned out, welded, and re-surfaced after welding. Iron is supposed to be very hot as its welded to get a decent weld.

Not worth doing-get another block. The guy at the machine shop even told me it's not worth it, unless its a rare block. I could see doing it if it was a stage motor, hemi, DZ302, etc.

I just got a 4.1 block repaired but it takes some special work. If it wasnt next to free, it wouldnt be worth it for a production block. but it came out great.

What you need to do is talk to the right people, look for you nearest military base........... and bring alot of beer.......:eek:

A.j.:rolleyes:

In order to weld cast iron, you should pre-heat it, I would suggest v-grooving the crack, and use a nickel rod, sometimes called ni-rod. The flux on the rods is usually a grayish-purple colour. Any welding supply shop can supply this. They should be about $1 per rod. I would use a 3/32" or 1/8" rod.

As far as the machining, can't help you there.

PS If you are not a welder, I would not suggest this as a first project.

Tyler.