Camshaft Bearing

krazy86t

Hi! Replacing my 140k stock camshaft with 206/206 hydraulic flat tappet, lifters, etc. After pulling the stock cam I noticed the front cam bearing has the typical grooved wear pattern, and should be replaced.

Searching through various threads I have found that replacing the front bearing is easy with the motor in the car if old bearing is fished out through the lower assembly and removing the oil pan. (Thanks to Bison for that tip)

Replacement bearings summary:
-Original Stock GM replacements were more durable than the standard after market bearings, but the original GM no longer available.
-Bison likes the Clevite aluminum bearing for improved durability (aluminum material)
-TA-Perf sells bearing sets that are "hardened, dual grooved" but you have to buy entire set (NOT True, talked with them this AM, and they sell single camshaft bearing)

Anyone know how to specify the Clevite replacement front bearing, so I can get the more durable version from parts store?

Thanks!

ps - for the first responder to flame hydraulic, flat tappet replacement, please see:

Best stock camshaft?

Last edited:
My engine builder recommended the TAperformance Teflon coated bearings. Got them from Cottons.

Durabond also sells good cam bearings.

Have used Ta's and they are great. I like to mix the Ta's with sealed power and get two sets. #1 bearing usually gets the wear. So take the #4 out of TA set use a regular bearing in the #4 spot. Use the TA bearing on the #1 journal with regular ones on 2/3/4 and two engines, done out of 1 set.

And if your cam does not have a groove in it regular bearings should be just fine IMO. But I still would use a teflon bearing there anyways. Just like teflon bushing in a tranny pump it does help.