Cam sensor ?

josh young

Can you buy just the top cap on the cam sensor? What I'm seeing on the internet is for the whole thing. I recently replaced one on another car that had similar issues as the GN, and it was the magnet piece in the top part causing the problem. Thanks guys!

Look up caspers electronics. They sell the cap, plus it has a little LED to help you set cam timing.

The Caspers piece is pretty nice but IIRC the LED for setting cam timing only works with the Delco Ignition Module. Either way it will do the trick in regards to the cam sensor function.

Can the factory style cap itself be purchased? I've read on here that people have got them a the parts stores, but can't find a number that is current.

I have ordered a cap from http://www.tomco-inc.com/ (I read that they had them in another thread on this site btw) that I think is a stock looking. It should be here this or next week, I can take a picture when it gets here. It was 50 bucks + shipping.

I have had no luck finding just the cap at the parts stores, they want to sell the whole thing. Will another cap work on a turbo buick off another make or is this specific to our cars. I may just order one from Tomco if all else fails. I've read a lot of threads on the issue I'm having and a LOT of them come back to be a bad cap. I have a new coil pack and module but it does the exact same thing as the old ones. I may try another set from a member in a couple days just to eliminate that possibility. I have had 2 issues in working on cars with a bad cam sensor. The first was the whole unit was bad, the car would not start with this issue. The next dealing I had was the cap itself was bad, the car would break up under load just like the GN is doing. Just wondering if there is another make that will fit ours, thanks for the replies guys!

When your car is acting up and when the engine is still running unplug your cam sensor. That will put your car in the batch fire mode. If your problem goes away then it is likely the cam sensor that's bad.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here it is. Looks good to me.

Attachments

• 1408663762667.jpg
    1408663762667.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 142
That looks like the factory cam sensor cap, should work without any problems.

I believe I'm going to order one of these, thanks for the pic and information. Did this fix your car? And what was it doing exactly? Thanks for the input guys!

I believe I'm going to order one of these, thanks for the pic and information. Did this fix your car? And what was it doing exactly? Thanks for the input guys!

I put it on today and it did fix the problem!

In my case the car ran fine when cold, then when up to operating temperature and cruising it would sputter feeling as if someone was turning on and off the ignition. Finally the engine light would pop on (code 41) and the car would run much better (I think it was going into batch mode bc it totally lost the cam sensor signal). At this point then the car wouldn't start until it cooled down about 45 minutes.

I drove it today quite a bit and replacing the cam sensor cap solved all the above issues.

By the way the same tomco stock looking cam sensor caps can be found on ebay and are sometimes 10 - 15 buck cheaper.

I replaced the cap Wednesday when it came in. I ordered the one from Tomco, it looked identical to the one that was on the car. I took it out tonight with temps in the 80+/- range, and done 5 pulls in it. It performed the same every time, no stumbling or breaking up of any kind. Thanks guys for all the suggestions and information!