Cam Sensor

VinsGN

Its "In Stock"
For starters this is information to think about and protect fellow TB owners.

I have researched the "Cheap Cam Sensor" subject extensively and what I have found is disturbing.

I base my findings on the following information:

Multiple web sites: Ranging from parts stores, parts distributors, manufactures, and other TB sites. (I am only a member to this site as it is clearly the best.)

Spoke with various helpful individuals (company techs) at Standard (supplier of the cam sensor) / RockAuto (Auto parts web page and vender specifically named by Standard) / Advanced Auto / CarParts and other local parts suppliers.

What I found is currently all avenues to obtain this reasonably priced (GM) cam sensor is no longer with no ETA on when again. The reason: A select few have decided to buy out the entire lot(s). Specifically, just in the last couple of days one purchase was for 37. Yes that’s correct…. 37 of them.

I’ve got no problem with making a profit on reselling parts, that’s the American way. Just go to ebay and look at what these things go for. Can’t blame somebody for picking up a couple, but to buy out all in existence? I guess that’s what happens when you own 37 Turbo Buicks all with bad cam sensors.

All fun aside be extra careful when purchasing NOS or stated GM cam sensors, require the GM box. The Standard is a GM sensor, which came in a red and white box and retailed for $43 to $55. Also request the four digit number located on the body of the sensor just under the GM part number. I found good information that this four-digit number is the production date of the sensor. (Digit one is the year / last three is the day) Why should you or I receive a part and then find out the seller only paid a fraction of what you HAD to pay. It’s our money and we should at least know where it’s going.

FWIW & IMHO:
Going to 1 site for information about a specific product is like test driving only 1 car just because you already feel that it is superior to all others. The other sites, especially the one ending in the letter "S" has some very interesting information on it and it is where the cam sensor discussion all started. It is very doubtful that a product that does not have a shelf life will have a manufacturing date on it. That 4 digit no. is more than likely the outsource vendor no. That is vendor traceability for GM is problems should develop. Any company the size of GM will assign specific nos. to each vendor. Also, it is a very good possibility that Standard Manufacturing assigned their own number for traceability purposes. If there is a problem, they can generally research documentation internally to recall as few as items as possible when problems develop. And some companies might use a date code for traceability purposes themselves.
It is no secret that it is rumored that Kirban bought the remaining one in stock. I think that we are very fortunate that Kirban bought them up and has raised the price only to $ 69.95, I believe. Somebody with less scruples would have raised the price a lot more than that. Also, you don't think that the autoparts stores would have left the price at about $ 50.00 when they started selling like hotcakes, do you? It almost sounds like the price of $ 43.00 was mistakenly set in the first place. Check out all of the information available on this subject and it might open your eyes to some things that you might not be aware of. Definitely thanks for the "heads Up" though. Look in the "waiting Room" on the other site for about 7 or 8 pages of original information. There are threads and posts going on just about every turbo buick site available. Oh, my deepest regrets for mentioning other sites and the painfully long post.

the 4digit code is the julian date code as found on most GM parts not a vendor code
most that were available from std were around the 155th day of 2003
they were purchased from OE source and carry the GM part # they are a gm part not a bogus ripoff .
wheter you buy it in or out of box its still the same sensor the general would gladdly charge you 413.00 for over the counter

as of 9 am this morning standard has stated a date for availabilty,
will it be the same part from gm as the PC16 was last month , wont know till it comes out
will it be 43 dollars
we will have to wait to see

It's funny how everyone seems to need one now. A couple of weeks it was another story.

Thank you all for your comments; I much appreciate them and your opinion.

I believe this subject has come up not because there is a great need all of a sudden for the sensors but because it is a blatant example of Buick parts pricing.

This was a critical part for our cars, which may have been incorrectly priced but individuals/companies took it upon themselves to snuff out others in the group. Why…. profit. In this case BIG profit. With none available currently the monopoly holders can charge just about anything they want. You want/need one now “Grab your ankles and take it like a man.” This steamed me because this is not an NOS part but a new part being produced by GM. I would like to give you my 2 cents but looks like I will need it. LOL.

Originally posted by Wells
It is no secret that it is rumored that Kirban bought the remaining one in stock. I think that we are very fortunate that Kirban bought them up and has raised the price only to $ 69.95, I believe. Somebody with less scruples would have raised the price a lot more than that.

We're fortunate huh? Interesting. Because why? Because someone has decided to monopolize a needed part and then mark it up to the needed audience?
"Oh yeah, THANKS Kirbin - in fact, let me give you $100 instead - just because." I feel so grateful when I get screwed. Reminds me of the AOL commercials on TV right now, "I'd love to have a virus on my computer. Thank you so much!"
Are you kidding me? You'd sit here and defend those that blatently hoard parts to increase the price to those who need them? We're all Buick enthusiasts, and those that monopolize parts and/or turn tricks with them for profits (especially older NOS parts) are shunned from other Buick boards and sites - as they should be. I would hope from acts like this, that Kirbin LOSES customers. I hope the additional $20 bucks was worth it.
Fortunate? I think not. If that's you're philosophy, I have some great swamp land in FL that I'll sell you cheap.

Regards,
Matt

Forget about the OEM cam sensor cap. Caspers will have one that does it all...has a built-in LED for setting the sensor AND an adjustable mount that makes setting the 25deg. ATC a snap, without needing any other marking on the harmonic balancer. That's the plan - set your TDC timing to the ZERO mark, and the new design will set you up to do the rest. No more guessing about where to set the sensor.

Hoping to have the part ready at the GS Nat's in May. I'll post when I will need "beta" testers.

-John Spina
www.casperselectronics.com
www.gnspyder.com
www.gnvenom.com

Originally posted by grnlark
We're fortunate huh? Interesting. Because why? Because someone has decided to monopolize a needed part and then mark it up to the needed audience?
"Oh yeah, THANKS Kirbin - in fact, let me give you $100 instead - just because." I feel so grateful when I get screwed. Reminds me of the AOL commercials on TV right now, "I'd love to have a virus on my computer. Thank you so much!"
Are you kidding me? You'd sit here and defend those that blatently hoard parts to increase the price to those who need them? We're all Buick enthusiasts, and those that monopolize parts and/or turn tricks with them for profits (especially older NOS parts) are shunned from other Buick boards and sites - as they should be. I would hope from acts like this, that Kirbin LOSES customers. I hope the additional $20 bucks was worth it.
Fortunate? I think not. If that's you're philosophy, I have some great swamp land in FL that I'll sell you cheap.

Regards,
Matt

Sorry that you took offense at my post, Matt. But I believe that Dennis Kirban has done no wrong here. I think that Kirban has done more for the Buick community accidentally that a lot of people have done intentionally. Through his making a business of the Buick turbo cars, he has encouraged other people/companies/businesses to do the same. We would not have a lot of the products for the turbo Buicks that we do now if he and other people had not ventured forth to start things. Naturally they made money along the way. That is the primary goal. It will be interesting to see down the road what will happen regarding the cam sensor issue. My guess is that nobody will be selling them very cheap down the road. We will see what happens when Autozone & Advance get them back in stock. And the manufacturer, you don't really believe that they will watch this run of everybody wanting cam sensors and keep their price the same, do you? My guess is that Kirbans will be the cheapest before long. BTW, you are an excellent writer and I wish that I could write as skillful as you. Sorry for the long post.

Originally posted by GNVenom
Forget about the OEM cam sensor cap. Caspers will have one that does it all...has a built-in LED for setting the sensor AND an adjustable mount that makes setting the 25deg. ATC a snap, without needing any other marking on the harmonic balancer. That's the plan - set your TDC timing to the ZERO mark, and the new design will set you up to do the rest. No more guessing about where to set the sensor.

Hoping to have the part ready at the GS Nat's in May. I'll post when I will need "beta" testers.

-John Spina
www.casperselectronics.com
www.gnspyder.com
www.gnvenom.com
Caspers is the BEST................Now what is everone gonna doi with the 10other cam sensors they have.......:p :p :p :p

Damn and to think I gave a new one away about a month ago!! DOH!!

Oh yeah, I'm not into these cars to make money, just friends..;)

Pete:
Oops, my bad.
Sorry, Pete & all, that was my error. It was brought up on another board that you guys had bought them. I had better wait for a while before I turn in another order, huh?

Originally posted by Wells
Sorry that you took offense at my post, Matt. But I believe that Dennis Kirban has done no wrong here. I think that Kirban has done more for the Buick community accidentally that a lot of people have done intentionally. Through his making a business of the Buick turbo cars, he has encouraged other people/companies/businesses to do the same. We would not have a lot of the products for the turbo Buicks that we do now if he and other people had not ventured forth to start things. Naturally they made money along the way. That is the primary goal. It will be interesting to see down the road what will happen regarding the cam sensor issue. My guess is that nobody will be selling them very cheap down the road. We will see what happens when Autozone & Advance get them back in stock. And the manufacturer, you don't really believe that they will watch this run of everybody wanting cam sensors and keep their price the same, do you? My guess is that Kirbans will be the cheapest before long. BTW, you are an excellent writer and I wish that I could write as skillful as you. Sorry for the long post.

first time in weeks i fell we see eye to eye , well said , look at it this way ...kirban dropped the price on his from 219.95 to 69.95 , gm didnt .

Originally posted by:
"pacecarta":
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
" first time in weeks i fell we see eye to eye , well said , look at it this way ...kirban dropped the price on his from 219.95 to 69.95 , gm didnt ."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul:
I have an open E-mail addy and you are welcome to drop me an E-mail, please no PM's, and let me know where you feel that I am in error on anything, or in error with the general line of thinking. I do cop to being rather opinionated, stubborn, and narrow minded.
It is unfortunate that a lot of the Buick community do not realize what good Dennis Kirban has done, whether intentionally for the good of the community or whether due to personal finincial motivation from running and operating his business.

BTW: GM's price is about $ 416.95 or so, GM Parts Direct's price is about $ 219.95 or so, plus shipping. John's Performance sells them for about $ 219 also. It will be very interesting to see how long all or any of the discount auto stores/outlets sells the sensor for under $ 50.00. My guess is that even the manufacturer will do a sizeable increase in price to the wholesalers.

Originally posted by grnlark

Regards,
Matt

I think it's laughable that anyone would demonize Kirban or anyone else for purchasing this part and making a few bucks on it while GM will out and out rape you for anything they sell. Be that as it may, last time I checked, the US is a capitalist country. Indeed, Kirban should be commended for selling this part for only $69. I think it's a service to the TR community.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I think it's laughable that anyone would demonize Kirban or anyone else for purchasing this part and making a few bucks on it while GM will out and out rape you for anything they sell. Be that as it may, last time I checked, the US is a capitalist country. Indeed, Kirban should be commended for selling this part for only $69. I think it's a service to the TR community.

Some of you guys amaze me... (shaking my head)
Granted, GM does the general public no favors, but where I come from, that doesn't mean I'll bend my neighbor over in the same fashion. Demonize Kirban? I think not. I demonize those that monopolize a needed part from other collectors in the Buick community and simply mark them up. All for what? - 20 bucks?
Let me give you an example: Lotus USA (yes, I also own a Lotus) offers a hydraulic clutch set up for the Turbo Esprit for $400.00. I've taken it upon myself to work with a local hydraulics shop to have the entire set up produced (better) for 1/4 the cost. And you want to know what my increase is to fellow club members? The cost of shipping. Thank you very much.
It would be one thing if the distributor (who I'm keeping nameless) didn't exactly say that Kirban bought them all. Then to deny it. Nice try. It's like the guy that chops up a 70 GS 455 convertible, 4-speed (only 126 produced) simply because it's got a lot of good profitable parts.

Parts are about supply and demand. That being said, when parts are in production, and in high demand, then it's just about making a reasonable profit. As the parts are used less, and manufacturing stops, the prices rise. As the supply gets low, it gets expensive per part to store, and inventory. So the price goes up. Then rather then scrap the parts at the end of their cycle, sometimes, the prices drop, just to clear out the on hand stock. If the product goes into another production cycle, then the cycle may repeat itself. Not to mention most large warehouses, bump the prices, at rate similiar to the prime interest. They have to show a profit, so even if the parts don't cost more over time, the price goes up, for storage, and inventory costs.

Just some observations.

We did NOT buy all the Cam sensors from Standard..we bought 8 of them....what happened was many people bought 2 or 3 of them and that is what wiped them out the system....the reason our price went from $249 to $69 is we switched from GM to Standard.....from what I could find out NOBODY bought a bulk amount. If you dig deep enough and make enough phone calls and spend a good amount of your time you can find ANYTHING cheaper somewhere......Dennis spend alot of his time trying to find and keep Turbo Regal parts in stock and readily available...it gets harder every day.....most of the Buick community likes that they can just call us or email us and have a part shipped out that day rather than dealing with GMPartsdirect or making 10 phone calls/emails to save a $1.50..........

Pete
Kirbans

OK guys this thread needs to end. This was NOT my intent at all for posting this. I originally did not mention names because I had NO specific names and DO NOT DEAL IN SPECULATION.

My sincere apologies to KIRBANS for being dragged into this, you were NEVER mentioned by me.

I only wanted to protect the TB community from hi-jackers who knew or learned that the $43-55 dollar cost was fishy and the sensors could be turned around for BIG profit; now or in the near future as prices return to normal. These individuals know as well as us that the low price mostly likely will not return. Anybody who bought a large number is not looking out for us…… they are looking at this:

37 X $43 = $1,591.00
37 X $200 = $7,400.00
$5,809.00 – Clear cut profit.

I hope my point has been made. This not only hurts you and I but our supporters too. Take the energy pointing fingers and put it into being savvy consumers.