Cam sensor timing question

hesermon

I just changed the timing set on my 85 GN(converted to 87 IC). It just turned 50K miles so this was PM. It appears everything went back together as planned. I used a chain and gear set from TA Performance, aligned the gears "dot to dot" with the engine on TDC on compression, installed the new tensioner and put everything back together the way it was when I started. EXCEPT when reading the instructions on GNType.org it says "notice the cam sensor connector is facing the drivers side of the car and so is the window under the cap". Mine was facing the opposite direction. When I put everything back together I put it back the correct way per the instruction. When installing the sensor I made sure I was on TDC, installed the sensor and it showed about 7.1 volts on the multimeter vs. the 7.5 the instructions said it should. I attributed this to the battery being a bit low. I rotated the sensor counter clockwise maybe 1/8 of a turn till the meter read 0 volts then tightened it down. Turned the key and it does not start. Can anyone give an opinion of where I went wrong. If I have to go back to the timing chain again I will, but I'm hoping its the sensor installed wrong. I just really hate taking apart a car that runs then it not start when I'm done! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If the cam sensor is 180 out the engine will still start and run. Although it won't run that well. Check the easy stuff first, is there spark? If so then are the injectors firing?

Just to remind, prime the oil pump/system before cranking the engine over.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Your post has lots of confusing information?

The radial orientation of the cam sensor wires has no bearing on the correct indexing of the cam sensor.

First, the engine must be set at 25 degrees after TDC before the cam sensor is installed.

When installed, the slot in the cap must be at the gap in the rotating ring.

The tab at the back of the cap will then be in the notch of the base and 180 degrees from the gap.

That is the base setting, and you adjust it from there.

Go to Vortex Buicks for a more detailed procedure.

Thanks guys! After rereading my post I realized that I actually answered my own question. I put the cam sensor in with the engine at TDC instead of the mark on the balancer that I used when I last had it apart about 8 years ago. I took it out, brought the engine back up to TDC on compression, bumped it to the mark on the balancer, put everything back together and it fired on the first bump of the key. Thanks again,
Hugh