Cam sensor repair kit?

josh young

I've had a tapping that stared yesterday, after a pcv valve, grommit, and pcv hose replacement. To the bare ear it sounded like the noise was coming from the drivers front of the car. I started listening to other areas I could probe, the noise was faint everywhere I tried, except on top of the cam sensor it was a distinct ticking coming from it. You could tap on the sensor a little with a screwdriver and it would stop. When it started again, repeat and once again it would stop the noise. I've replaced the cam sensor cap in the past with a factory style oem one. I'm thinking I need the rjc kit with the steel wheel over the brass one? Does this sound right? Thanks guys!

Ok I'll check it Gene. It was tight when I installed the cap a couple years ago but with these cars it's better to be sure. Thanks.

i puled it off, it had a lot of slack in it. the little tab was nearly worn off flat with the base of the reluctor. Needless to say it had some slop in it.

i puled it off, it had a lot of slack in it. the little tab was nearly worn off flat with the base of the reluctor. Needless to say it had some slop in it.

Sounds like it's time for a new one or have that one rebuilt for $85.00 ( that is a good price). It would also be a good time to add the RJC cam sensor repair kit before you install it.

Even though i never had any problems with the cam sensor to give me any trouble. I bought a new cam sensor off ebay a few years ago for $140.00 and before i installed it. I bought the RJC cam sensor repair kit and installed it on the the cam sensor to make it stronger to prevent any future problems with it.

Last edited: