Cam Sensor Removal

jshilli1

I get an odd issue when I try to "search" for more than 2 words---

Anyway, since gnttype is down, or at least the main page, does anyone have a link or procedure to remove the cam sensor?

Also what are the issues, e.g. do not turn over the engine while it is out or be sure to mark this position. Pulling the sensor to prime the engine with oil.

TIA

take the cam sensor cap off and turn the engine till the window faces the driver fender ,
alaign the balancer mark to "0" which should be very close to where you are now

if sensor was correct before you are now at TDC compression stroke

remove the cam sensor retaining bolt and lift the sensor out

prime the motor with a suitable tool through the cam hole (clockwise)

for install of sensor and proper alainment go to
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

After you bring your number 1 cylinder to TDC with the sensor positioned as posted: make a mark(w/a Sharpy for instance) on both the sensor rotor and the sensor body. After you prime the motor, just reinstall the sensor, being careful to get the timing marks you made lined back up. Works every time ;) !!

Is there and easy way to get the CAM sensor retaining bolt? I seem to be struggling a bit with that.

Is there and easy way to get the CAM sensor retaining bolt? I seem to be struggling a bit with that.

Socket on a wobble extension long enough to reach it. It's a 9/16" bolt head. Once you thread it out of the block, you'll probably drop it. Fish it and the retaining clamp out with a magnet.

Get the wiring out of the way so you can see.

Socket on a wobble extension long enough to reach it. It's a 9/16" bolt head. Once you thread it out of the block, you'll probably drop it. Fish it and the retaining clamp out with a magnet.

Get the wiring out of the way so you can see.
Gotcha!

Another trick is to cut the retaining washer with a 1/4 moon type shape into it so you don’t have to completely remove it . You just loosen and turn it then pull the sensor out

A stock Chevy V8 distributor hold-down also works. The solid type, not the bent wire type.

Makes it easy, loosen the bolt or nut (if studded) and slide the clamp back away from the cam sensor.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I actually cleaned up a timing cover today and did the notch I have been speaking about . It makes removal a lot easier that’s for sure
1E02A991-F516-4DB0-9564-5B100266A372.jpeg
A77332EA-AEBE-4DFD-B83E-E18874B40338.jpeg
5D5B58C2-93E5-4E80-B318-209C5F4EFB5A.jpeg
DAE94537-6984-44AA-8235-4A3A4D13B5C9.jpeg