Cam Sensor Install

TurboTJT

For whatever reason, my cam sensor wont seat with the timing chain cover.
I've tried everything I can think of but theres about an 1/4" gap between the base of the cam sensor & cover.

It seems to start going in the oil pump groove but stops and won't seat.
I may try next to slowly & carefully tighten the bolt to seat it.

Any other suggestions? Thx

Nooooooo! Don't under any circumstances use the bolt to force it into place. Take a long flat head screw driver and turn the oil pump gear ever so slightly and try dropping it in. It make take several tries but you'll know it once it meshes. Also make sure the o - ring is lubed up so it doesn't bind as well.

For whatever reason, my cam sensor wont seat with the timing chain cover.
I've tried everything I can think of but theres about an 1/4" gap between the base of the cam sensor & cover.

It seems to start going in the oil pump groove but stops and won't seat.
I may try next to slowly & carefully tighten the bolt to seat it.

Any other suggestions? Thx

If this is a chinese cover you may just be screwed. It's a VERY common occurrence for them to not be concentric with the pump shaft and cm sensor hole... Look at your casting.. does the crank seal load from the front or the inside? Also, do you see small set screw on top next to the cm sensor hole that's there for no reason?

Its the hole !!!! its a machined a bit small. Ive run in to it a bunch of times.
Before install they clean up easy with a scotch bright pad (red) if its installed.
Heat up the o'ring on the sensor with a hair dryer ( not a heat gun will melt it) not to hot. Once its warm put some oil on it then install quickly
U may have a > 1/8" gap install hold down bolt then. just take a long screwdriver put it on the base and tap it with your hand. (New cover.new ring tight fit)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nooooooo! Don't under any circumstances use the bolt to force it into place. Take a long flat head screw driver and turn the oil pump gear ever so slightly and try dropping it in. It make take several tries but you'll know it once it meshes. Also make sure the o - ring is lubed up so it doesn't bind as well.

Have repeatedly tried a long flat head screw driver & turning the oil pump gear slightly. O-ring is well lubed also, still no-go.............
Thx for the advise.

If this is a chinese cover you may just be screwed. It's a VERY common occurrence for them to not be concentric with the pump shaft and cm sensor hole... Look at your casting.. does the crank seal load from the front or the inside? Also, do you see small set screw on top next to the cm sensor hole that's there for no reason?
Earl I've heard about the problems with Chinese covers, hopefully not the case here.
This race build was suppose to have a very high quality (usa) cover installed.
I'll double check for a "no reason set screw" & weather the seal loads from front or inside.
Thanks for the advice!

Its the hole !!!! its a machined a bit small. Ive run in to it a bunch of times.
Before install they clean up easy with a scotch bright pad (red) if its installed.
Heat up the o'ring on the sensor with a hair dryer ( not a heat gun will melt it) not to hot. Once its warm put some oil on it then install quickly
U may have a > 1/8" gap install hold down bolt then. just take a long screwdriver put it on the base and tap it with your hand. (New cover.new ring tight fit)
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Cover is already installed so I can't safely use a red scotch bright to cleanup.
I can try the "hair dryer & o-ring lube" technique next.

I said my current gap is 1/4", it hards to judge but it may actually be btwn 1/8"-1/4".
I'll measure the problem gap distance more accurately before proceeding.
Thx for the advice.

...........U may have a > 1/8" gap install hold down bolt then. just take a long screwdriver put it on the base and tap it with your hand. (New cover.new ring tight fit) .....

This is common issue, and I have "tapped" many cam sensors in place with this method! :)

This is common issue, and I have "tapped" many cam sensors in place with this method! :)
Nick I've tried tapping lightly several times but I didn't want to get to aggressive. I can try tapping it again but this time after I heat it up with a hairdryer. Thx

Is the cam sensor a replacement?
If so what type?
P/N?
is it OEM?
Maybe you can measure the cam sensor shaft blade and see if it a bit shy 3/16" wide since the width measurement of the oil pump shaft fitting is 3/16"

Is the cam sensor a replacement?
If so what type?
P/N?
is it OEM?
Maybe you can measure the cam sensor shaft blade and see if it a bit shy 3/16" wide since the width measurement of the oil pump shaft fitting is 3/16"
New replacement GM # 25516915, part number is stenciled on housing.
The oil pump/cam sensor shaft fit were checked prior to install.
They slipped together with ease.

Last edited:
Okay, maybe you can try this, remove the oil ring and see if the cam sensor fits into the oil pump shaft, and if so then check if you have the correct oil ring thickest in size.

I had the same issue. I thought for sure something was wrong. I took the new one out and put the old one back in and had the same issue. Tightening the bolt pulled the new one down and it was fine.

Sounds lik eher your shaft isn quITE lInes up or y are hanging up on the gear. I'd pull it and see if someng loois messed on the gear

If the hole is non concentric and you pound the cam sensor in place the oil pump shaft will be side loaded in it's bore....

Has anyone that's beat the unit in place put bunch of miles on one and inspected the cover for wear yet?

I've had to coerce a few as well. As long as you are SURE the oil pump is lined up, take the cap off and put a phillips screwdriver in the screw and give it a few taps, should pop in from there.

Cottons has a great step by step procedure on his website.

I agree with others ..lube o ring really well. I placed a block of wood over the ring, tapped with hammer the remaining 1/4 inch until it seated. Same issue you're experiencing.

I've run into that problem as well.

If I have a 1/4" gap I know that the oil pump tang is engaged for sure other wise it would leave a larger gap.

I just place a brick on the sensor cap and hit it with a 5 lb. sledge hammer until it seats. Four or five hits with a hammer is usually all it takes.

If that fails I will try
New
Sounds lik eher your shaft isn quITE lInes up or y are hanging up on the gear. I'd pull it and see if someng loois messed on the gear
If it takes more than that I will generously lube the O ring with anal ease per EARL BROWNS recommendations and it never fails to slide all the way in the hole and hit BOTTOM.