Cam Sensor Install - HELP!

GN138

Ok, so I got the engine to 25 degrees ATDC, took out the old cam sensor and am trying to install the new cam sensor. The gears will mesh but it seems like it's having an impossible time trying to drop into the oil pump drive. We've oiled the o-ring and gear.

I've tried moving it around a tooth at a time and while it feels like it drops in there is still a tiny gap inbetween the cam sensor body and the engine block.

I'm assuming once the sensor fully seats it should be flush with the block, right?

What brand? I had a standard that after a while the o-ring swelled up so much it wouldnt go back in! With a new O-ring it was fine. Also that last 1/8" if you SLOWLY tighten the bolt down & again I say SLOWLY it will usually seat itself. Just keep your eyes on it when doing that.

You may have to get a big screwdriver and move the oil pump shaft 1/8th of a turn at a time and remove and re install the sensor several times until it drops down, it should not need much force to seat it.

You can also remove o-ring to make sure it seats properly first & then you can do the bolt tightening thing.

Yeah, the "it just drops right in part" is a bit deceptive. I had figured it was the friggen o-ring....those things are a pain most of the time. We slowly tightened the retainer/ hold down bolt and it pulled it into place (this was after making sure the cam sensor and oil drive were in the correct position and seated - this still left 1/8th to 1/4" between the block and cam sensor body).

We had tried to push the sensor down but didn't want to push too hard.

We had to use a 14mm crows foot with a long, skinny 3/8th drive extension to get the retainer bolt out. It's slow but it works.

Thanks!

If you only have about 1/4" between the bottom of the sensor base and the timing cover I would say the the gears are meshed fine...it's the O-ring holding you up...as someone mentioned take the O-ring off and see if it seats all the way down...then put it back on...drop it in...take a piece of wood and hammer and tap it in...BTDT many times...

Here's what I use to install the cam sensor: Craftsman 43247 9/16 in. Socket, 6 pt. Flex at Sears.com I attatch it to this with electrical tape: Craftsman 43532 14 in. Extension Bar at Sears.com Because it's a 14" long extension and a 1/4" drive "wobbly" socket, it reaches the cam sensor retaining bolt real easy. I use electrical tape to keep the socket on the extension so, when I finish torquing the bolt it doesn't fall off when removing it. I keep it in my tool box all taped up and ready to go.

a 1/4 drive 14 mm short socket and a long 1/4 extension fit perfect. i usually put the sensor in and rotate the motor by the balancer bolt to get it in fully.

then bring it up to 25 deg on the compression stroke of the no. 1 cyl. ive wasted years trying to get the cam sensor to seat right before i did it this way