Cam Sensor Help

rmorrell

When I first took my cam sensor out, I marked TDC with a sharpie on the top of the cam sensor (the part that spins to the stationary part on the sensor. I also marked the bolt where the sensor mounts). Now putting it back in as Im putting the engine together, I can't get the top of the cam sensor perfectly allinged. I put a new timing chain and sprockets in, so I was thinking that the tension of the tight new sprocket and chain may have effected the cam sensor to not line up perfectly again. The top of the sensor is maybe 1/8" off from a perfect allignment tha I had before I took the sensor off at TDC. So I think I may need to time this differently or something. Is that amount off very crucial? Weigh in on the situation if you have advice.

Thanks.

The sensor can be turned (adjusted) for a reason. Use your marks as a reference. If the sensor needs to be adjusted for the motor to run then so be it. Not a big deal.

I will be using my Caspers Cam sensor cap today!:cool: Makes things just that simple! If you can't get it set the stock way, you will with the Caspers cap.

Alright for setting but I wouldn't run it.

I have to show you how I set it. No tools required.

When I first took my cam sensor out, I marked TDC with a sharpie on the top of the cam sensor (the part that spins to the stationary part on the sensor. I also marked the bolt where the sensor mounts). Now putting it back in as Im putting the engine together, I can't get the top of the cam sensor perfectly allinged. I put a new timing chain and sprockets in, so I was thinking that the tension of the tight new sprocket and chain may have effected the cam sensor to not line up perfectly again. The top of the sensor is maybe 1/8" off from a perfect allignment tha I had before I took the sensor off at TDC. So I think I may need to time this differently or something. Is that amount off very crucial? Weigh in on the situation if you have advice.

Thanks.

By "top" are you asking about the actual cap? You do know that the cap is keyed to the base, right? 'Cause it sounds like the cap is 180° out from the base (the key slot is not aligned correctly) and this is causing the cap to not set flush...

By "top" are you asking about the actual cap? You do know that the cap is keyed to the base, right? 'Cause it sounds like the cap is 180° out from the base (the key slot is not aligned correctly) and this is causing the cap to not set flush...

The motor is out of the car and we just put he cam sensor back in. The plastic "cap" is off. I dont know what the word is but the top metal part under the cap I marked with a sharpie to the whole cam sensor itself which doesnt spin. So ya the cap is stationary with the base and the part that spins under the cap is maybe 1/8 to 1/16" off from the original sharpie mark I made. I can't really test the cam sensor if it isn't in the car though and I can't start it though right..?? I just don't want to wreck anything due to a timing issue.

Thanks for the articles, should I worry about this issue when the motor is back in the car?? Motor is out of car...

The motor is out of the car and we just put he cam sensor back in. The plastic "cap" is off. I dont know what the word is but the top metal part under the cap I marked with a sharpie to the whole cam sensor itself which doesnt spin. So ya the cap is stationary with the base and the part that spins under the cap is maybe 1/8 to 1/16" off from the original sharpie mark I made. I can't really test the cam sensor if it isn't in the car though and I can't start it though right..?? I just don't want to wreck anything due to a timing issue.

Worse case the motor won't start and you will have to give the sensor a slight turn. It's not going to hurt anything if it's off.