cam sensor gear strip

tybob

hi , i have a medium problem, today i run a car and the cam sensor gear strip........recently i change the oil pump cover for a new one (jobber from ebay) becose i can't find i o.e.... it is possible the new cover have a bad alignement(for the cam sensor).......i have a roller cam and my oil presure was 40 pound idle hot ! before i strip the gear ! now is zero oil presure lolllll.....i remove the front cover ,check the oil pump....no problem whit the oil pump ! the cam sprocket is a little bit use and i have a 1/4in teeth broke!what is the best to do ! change the cam whit the can sensor and drop the oil presure at 20 idle hot !

thanks bob

That's a lot of pressure at idle :eek: What's your max pressure? What kind of oil are you using? Are you using a high volume oil pump? What's your bearing clearances? What's your pump clearances? You could have a gear alignment problem, not enough clearance in the pump, or too much oil pressure.

What gasket did you use for the front cover? That gasket has got to be right. Stripping your cam sensor gear could mean the clearance between the front cover to block is too close, or the front cover alignment of the cam sensor hole is out.

hi , i use a hi volume oil pump.....oil presure was 40 pound idle when hot and 80-90 cold ( i dont know the max presure hot becose is a new engine and i don't go more then 3000rpm ans i was at 60-65pound,i use 10w30 oil ,my front gascket was felpro ,clerence bearing on the crank is .002 and rods .0015 .....not sure of the pump clerence it was bild like the spec in the machine shop( that machine shop bild me mayby 10 whit out any problem)....how i can check the front cover alignment of the cam sensor or the hole alignment ! the fron cove is new but mayby is bad !how mutch presure at idle is the best !:rolleyes:

thanks bob

hi , i have a medium problem, today i run a car and the cam sensor gear strip........recently i change the oil pump cover for a new one (jobber from ebay) becose i can't find i o.e.... it is possible the new cover have a bad alignement(for the cam sensor. thanks bob

The off-shore timing covers are mostly junk, especially the ones from China.:mad:

I have sent many of them back for various reasons including cam sensor alignment, pump shaft too small and other fitment problems.

We usually have GM new replacements in stock, and are worth the extra $$$ over the aftermarket junk.

you still have the o.e cover .....howmutch ! i need one ! how i can check for the cam sensor alignement !

i think i find the problem.......i have only one doll pin ........should have 2 !:rolleyes:

seen that before

A friend of mine bought a timing cover from Postons a while back and it was machined incorrectly. The surface that the cam sensor seats against was milled to far down. Thus the cam sensor gear was to deep. The gear was eaten in short order. jeremy

you guys when you use a roller cam did you instal a bronze gear or you keep the original..........i don't want change the oil pump cover if is ok(i want check the cover to make sure before)if is bad ill change it but not for nothing !
how i can check the if the cam sensor is at the right place !

thay miss one dool pin in the cover ...the one where is the crank sensor !mayby is the problem !mayby the cover is not on the right place whit only one pin !:confused: :confused: :confused: bob