Cam sensor failure?

NEWCHAPTER

Need Speed
Well I finally got around to it and put some seafoam in to clean things up before changing plugs and oil... after hooking back up the up pipe some of the stuff spilled down ... I got everything back together and started it back up and it started smoking good ... reved it up a couple a times and noticed a loud ticking from the front and then the engine just quit and wont start... it will crank but not fire.... what did i do know :confused:

Probably still flooded. That stuff can thin out the oil,that maybe your noise. Let it sit and try to restart after a few. It should smoke like a train.:cool:

Yeah I let it still a couple of hours while I was at the dentist getting my root canal filled, and it just cranks and wont fire...

Time to get out the noid lights see if it's got injector pulse. Check for spark. Does the fuel pump prime. Fuses?

help!!!!!!!!!!

Still nothing , i checked the fuses inside all are good, I have 43 psi on the fuel gauge under the hood. Over 100k on the motor do I replace the cap or do I have to pull the whole unit and if so How is that to do....

Is the cam sensor there for starting only or what? Ive never got a clear idea of what it does, Im new to this Buick stuff

so I went ahead and changed out the cam sensor , used a voltmeter to set it up.... still no start.... decided to replaced the sparkplugs , pretty fouled up.... still no start..... patience is wearing thin and vacation is almost over!!!!

Be sure to check the Crank sensor as well. It plays a big role in getting the engine started too.

Get under there and look at the interrupter ring on the balancer, and then check the condition of the crank sensor too.

Pull the sensor off if you have too, they can be hard to see under there.

Have you checked the big orange battery 12v wire @ the ECM? Mine is currently loose and sometimes loses connection to the ECM pin. Will enable a crank, no start condition. Just throwing that out there!!

the orange ecm wire is fine , I will have to go check the cranks sensor...would the top engine clean have messed something up inside .... sensors or timing chain..

I think the top engine clean may have been coincidental and may not be the cause of the failure.

However you mentioned you did rev it a couple of times which may have.

The crank sensor can fail even if it is just a little bit off. I think you mentioned there was a ticking sound from the front of the engine, that could be the sensor bouncing off the interrupter ring as the engine spins.

Worth checking so at the very least you can rule it out.

Have you checked for spark ? an easy test is just hook up a timing light to a plug wire, and if it flashes which turning the engine over, the ECM is calling for spark, meaning that crank and cam sensor are fine.....

Next I would pull a plug, if they are wet then it is getting fuel.....

I changed out the plugs today and they were wet , I dont have a timing light but when I pulled a plug and cranked and there was no spark... as far as the crank sensor I just checked it ... its slightly loose other than that dont know what to look for... thanks for the help

It should not be loose - if you have no spark, bet that is it.

Did you try to crank it - with a new plug - that was grounded? A wet plug may not fire.

I pulled the plug wire off only I had an extra new plug and used that and there was no spark....guess need to try and get a new crank sensor tommorow.... if that doesnt fix it .... mechanic or up for sale...

The orginal type was redesigned long ago. If yours was orginal it served you well.:)

Thanks real-t , I replaced the crankshaft sensor and it fired right up...

Wahoo!!!!

Glad you are up and running.

I have seen this before a few times. The first time it happened we went down the same path, coil, plugs, module etc........then we brainstormed a bit and got to understand the starting/ignition/fueling system really well.

Sometimes these problems end up being some pretty good lessons......

Yeah whenever my car runs bad, I check the cam sensor and make sure its plugged all the way in. If it won't start, it need fuel, so check fuel pressure. If no spark, then I check the crank sensor. I have known good backup sensors to swap out to narrow it down. Unfortunately, I know now that when the shear pin breaks on the cam position sensor, the car will run only at WOT and idle, nothing in between:mad: