Cam selection question

cams

i didnt say you need heavy valve springs, these 300 # seat pressure springs were on the heads when i bought the complete engine and i didnt want to throw away 800,00 worth of valve springs, i have three other sets of stage heads with 260 # springs, the new champions still in the boxes have 210# serval people run well over 200# springs on a mechanical roller cam, i have not had any trouble with timing chains or cam bearings, so run what works best for you, a lot of people dont know what their engine builder put in their heads or engine, :)

Hey OC, Ill gve ya a call tomorrow on your setup,Tell ya how we did mine,What time would be best?

otto

10am or 11 would work fine my son is going to help me. about 1pm i have got to rake hay, but son [james]will work on the wiring untill 4 or so, thanks oc, :)

odell4o8 said:
10am or 11 would work fine my son is going to help me. about 1pm i have got to rake hay, but son [james]will work on the wiring untill 4 or so, thanks oc, :)

OC, you shouldn't have to do all that hard work around the farm, you paid your dues. You should be at the beach in the Bahamas with a Margarita catching rays in your overalls.

KLHAMMETT said:
Just cause you CAN ran it, Doesnt mean you need it.Heavy valve springs are a bitch on the valve train

Otto,

I agree but a little extra RPM and does not hurt when running 340-350 CFM heads. Most of the race stage headed cams I have seen from Dan or Ken have more than 260* duration at.50. Even Cal with a stage 1 type head is looking at going to something in the 240* Plus Range. I would say get the cam from from the engine builder not comp dirrectly. I have seen a lot of automatic turbo cams on 115 to 116 LSA as of late.

turbo_canuck said:
Bill, which cometics, and where do i get them? I'd like to get into the mid-low 9's range on a fairly easy tune, with 9.0's possibly when going balls-out. I'm guessing this is hp in the 750-800 area? I'll be making a couple of phone calls on monday, to Ken Duttweiler, Dan Strezo, and Comp cams for some suggestions. Unless i can get a lil' feedback from the fastest GN at the Nats.? :biggrin:

The cometics are a multi-layred steel gasket, it is three pieces, the center is stainless, you can get them in a bunch of different thicknesses to suit your compression. As far as the cam goes, I can set you up with a cam that will be matched to your combination. The only problem right now is CORES at Comp for the standard valve configuration (Champion). I bought 2 of them 2 weeks ago and they told me they were out of cores after those and didnt ever expect to get anymore do to low demand for the billet cam with stock style heads. I was told if I had to have another one, they would try to squeeze one out of Crane OR they could make it from scratch and it would be very expensive!

Bill, if you could set me up with a cam, that'd be great. no worries on trying to get GN1 headed config. cam cores, i'm going stage 2 heads and intake now. Thanks!

On second thought Bill, I'd better get the gaskets from you for now, and wait a bit on the cam, as i might be changing a few things in the near future...

I am not in the same league as the buick gurus commenting so far but You havent really come close to maxing out the 218/212 grind. I run a similar setup in my stage motor and have run a 10.01 at 134 on 21 lbs boost.This was with a t76 turbo. You have 9.9 sec mph with a good launch. Ran felpro 1000s on a 30 over 4.1 and discovered the firering was inside the cylinder because the 1000s had a 3.9 inch bore size. With your 88 turbo it seems like you have low 9s waiting to be run with the 218/212

rtviper, thanks for the info, but i'm not switching cams for more power, i'm changing to stage 2 heads, so i'll need a new cam anyway, otherwise i'd keep my old cam.

Keep the Old One

I would and see what happens, you have nothing to loose but a little time and dollars if you decide to change.

cams

hey turbo canuk, i have serval old cams that come with stage NA engines all are different lifts etc, the indy cams that i have have the nose shorten, if you can get one of these reground send me 10,00 bucks for shipping and ill send you a cam for stage heads. or drive down here and ill give you any of them that you want, later oc, :)

I feel your pain, Canuck. I have several S2 cams from NA motors, and tried to have one reground into a suitable turbo cam with decent lobe separation. Schneider here in San Diego told me that, due to grinding through the heat-treat, the most they could get from a 104 degree separation NA cam, was about 107 degrees, and I was looking for 112 or so. So...had to spend the money for a new one from Comp. Tim Cole set me up with a 222/218 hydraulic - don't know the lift off the top of my head. Good luck.

I paid a little over $300 for comp to custom grind me a brand new one. I called two Buick V6 cam grinders that will regrind cams and they both said $150 if the could but that it wouldn't work because of breaking through the heat treating. I was told by one of them that you could have the cam heat treated after it was reground but the cam could and probably would warp slightly after heat treating. He said you could put it in a motor and run it and would never know any different if he wouldn't have told you.......

You will want to look into what cam locating set up you want to go with before you order the cam. I wanted to run a gear drive with built in torrington bearing but the "flange" diameter on the end of the cam is too big and I will have to have this turned down to work with my gear drive.

HTH: Jason

turbo_canuck said:
Working on my stage 2 over the winter, It's a 274 off-center, 4" bore, 9to 1 comp., crower crank, carillo rods, je pistons, stage 2 "031" heads, 90mm tb and elbow, conv. 4 barrel, Fast sequential, modified oil pickup, pt-88, stock ignition, th-400 w/brake, 4000 stall, and have a few questions.

1. Is the comp #93-850-9 296-R4 cam a good choice for my application? (294 in,300 exh adv. dur, 264-268@.050, 650 650 lift, 104*ls)

2. Can i use the lifters from the old cam, a weber 218-212 solid roller?

3. Will the oiling system i have be sufficient for mid 9's?

4. Is the fel-pro #1000 the right head gasket for me?

Thanks for any help you can give! :biggrin:
250@050-112 L/S & around 635 lift should work nicely & put you in the ballpark.