Cam question

TType85

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I finally got a hold of the guy who got the parts for the motor in my car to find out what cam is actually in it. He says it is a custom ground 264/258 114deg lobe separation. Would that be like a 208/206 @.050?

Aren't most TB cams 110 or 112 deg?

How *should* this cam be for performance?

Anyone?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a longer duration on the intake vs the exhaust?
Will the lobe separation affect spoolup?

Try to get ahold of Billy anderson. He may know what your talking about. That looks like a odd cam to me.

First, the 114 LSA will be fine.

Second, unlike a carb engine, a cam change alone in a turbo application will not usually give you more HP or even change engine performance very much. Many stock cams have been into the 10's. :)

At 600 HP and up with a competition build, the cam should be matched to various supporting components like heads, turbo, converter and use of the car, none of which have been mentioned here.

First, the 114 LSA will be fine.

Second, unlike a carb engine, a cam change alone in a turbo application will not usually give you more HP or even change engine performance very much. Many stock cams have been into the 10's. :)

At 600 HP and up with a competition build, the cam should be matched to various supporting components like heads, turbo, converter and use of the car, none of which have been mentioned here.

After some thought on what I really want the goal with this car is 6.50-6.60 in the 1/8 (10.30-10.50?). I have been waffling on going more to a stock setup or not but I know I won't be happy. We do not have any 1/4 mile tracks left here in so-cal so I will be running it mostly 1/8 mile and some street miles. The car does have to pass CA smog. I will be running on ET Street drag radials.

Combo is in the signature.
  • There may be 15K miles on the rebuild with the 2 center steel caps and .040 over TRW Forged Pistons
  • The 6262 is going to be heading back to PTE because there is something wrong with it.
  • The trans and converter were just done by Lou's guy. It's supposed to be a 3200 stall 9.5" N/L converter.
  • The heads have some mild work done to them, big valves with some work done behind them, the runners were just cleaned up a bit
  • I might need to beef up the fuel system. I will be running 91/Alky. If I need C16 to meet my ET goals, I am fine with that.
  • Car has Hotchkis upper and lowers in the back along with air bags and new axles
I guess my main concerns with the cam are weather or not it is going to be a major road block to my goal?

There is nothing wrong with that cam, but it will be a bit os a struggle to get the level of performance your after compared to somthing a bigger, Sock cams will run in the 10's and so will this. 1.65 rockers will help depending on cam lift and heads
Mike