cam question

77tech9

Extreme Huffer
I'm going to chane my timing gear soon, and was thinking about changing the cam. The 206/206 cam is a good choice that I see a lot of people getting. I dont want a real rough cam, but I want something that has some power, what does everyone recommend?

Also, hydraulic is the way to go right? Is is worth the extra money?

This will be an easy install with timing cover off correct? I've never touched a LC2 block before, didn't want to see anything weird.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at the car in your signature...

If you're not going AT LEAST low-11's, I wouldn't touch the stock cam, unless your stock unit is wiped. There have been lots of cars in the 10's with the stock unit.

With your stock long block, I doubt you'd see more than a 10-15HP increase with a larger camshaft, and it's a LOT of work to do correctly. You'd need to pull the intake, valve covers, lifters, rockers, pushrods, and [most likely] go with stronger valve springs. Then, you'll need to break in the new cam, hoping it's done right, etc.

...but that's just me...

I'm afraid that it's not going to look pretty when I check it out, but thanks for the advice.

I would like low 11's :p

i went with the 208 208 flat tappet from ramchargers, so far , so good. has a nice idle and pulls strong throughout. it is a lot of work unless youre doing the heads at the same time. thats what i just did, i figured, i got the whole damn motor apart anyway, might as well throw a cam in there. i have to admit, i was alittle nervous with all the stories of people wipping cam lobes though.also, im assumming you wetre talking about a flat tappet cam which are very cheap. i think i paid like 200 with lifters.:D

I'll just wait for cam until i take heads off, dont want to take them off just yet.

Originally posted by broke1
Save your $$$ for a roller. Then you want have to worry about wiping lobes.:)
that is the way to go, a lot of money but if you wipe a cam lobe chances are you will pay more to fix everything than it would have costed to go with the roller. i cheaped out and still got my fingers crossed.:D