CAM POSITION SENSOR

QuikRick

I did some major engine mods and am now trying to get cam position sensor set. I did the TDC and then 25 degrees ATDC and set the CPS with a Caspers CPS tool. Engine won't start. The one thing I didn't do is make sure that the #1 cylinder was on compression and not exhaust. Can't I now simply change the CPS window 180 degrees and then I should be good assuming all else is right? Is this logical or not? And how to I change the CPS 180 degrees? Do I pull it and change the shaft and window position 180 and put the cap back in the same place or do I just loosen the hold down bolt and rotate the cap 180 degrees? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Is this the old Casper square box or a Casper cap with LED? Went through this myself two days ago on my Casper cap w/ LED, triple check TDC, timing mark on crank shaft, position of shaft and window and you should get it, make sure you also have the right instructions if its your first go or been a while, always helps ;)

Casper box instructions;
http://www.installationinstructions.com/102075.pdf

Casper cap instructions;
http://www.installationinstructions.com/107112.pdf

I have the Casper square box with an LED light and not the Casper cap with LED. I followed the instructions exactly to the T such as setting the harmonic at 25 degrees ATDC and pointing the dot on the shaft toward the passenger fender and the window toward the driver side headlights. The only thing I wasn't exact on is whether or not my TDC was on compression stroke. So after reading the cap instructions is putting a rubber hose into the #1 spark plug hole and turning over the engine til you feel compression pretty easy to do? I mean does the engine really stop turning over that quick where TDC mark would be close to the correct 0 TDC mark? (This engine isn't easy to turn over by hand with a half inch torque bar and cap instructions said to grab hold of the serpentine belt to rotate engine - LOL - no way Jose with this engine). Is the cap easier to use and when you do the cap, does that setting cap stay on the car after you have it set since it said something about the light flashing while the engine is running? And yes this is my first go at this. If you think the setting cap is easier I'll get one. What do you think? Thanks for your time and input. Rick

I have the Casper square box with an LED light and not the Casper cap with LED. I followed the instructions exactly to the T such as setting the harmonic at 25 degrees ATDC and pointing the dot on the shaft toward the passenger fender and the window toward the driver side headlights. The only thing I wasn't exact on is whether or not my TDC was on compression stroke. So after reading the cap instructions is putting a rubber hose into the #1 spark plug hole and turning over the engine til you feel compression pretty easy to do? I mean does the engine really stop turning over that quick where TDC mark would be close to the correct 0 TDC mark? (This engine isn't easy to turn over by hand with a half inch torque bar and cap instructions said to grab hold of the serpentine belt to rotate engine - LOL - no way Jose with this engine). Is the cap easier to use and when you do the cap, does that setting cap stay on the car after you have it set since it said something about the light flashing while the engine is running? And yes this is my first go at this. If you think the setting cap is easier I'll get one. What do you think? Thanks for your time and input. Rick

New to the GN world myself Rick but I set the cap style the other day in roughly an hour after priming and some other items, never having touched a GN in my life 24 hours before that, and that's including triple check and breaks. We setup to 0 TDC, put on and set LED as requested and she fired up.

Yes, hose in #1 will work, or buddies finger in #1 will work. It is a full compression "stroke", so it will start pushing once the stroke starts but TDC won't line up until the very top of course, so once you start to hear or feel compression you need to slow down, find a way to note the top/wait for no more compression and line up from there. I know what you mean by grabbing serp belt.... no way it's happening. You can use your a socket on your alternator to do it by hand so its nice and slow and controlled.

New to the GN world myself Rick but I set the cap style the other day in roughly an hour after priming and some other items, never having touched a GN in my life 24 hours before that, and that's including triple check and breaks. We setup to 0 TDC, put on and set LED as requested and she fired up.

Yes, hose in #1 will work, or buddies finger in #1 will work. It is a full compression "stroke", so it will start pushing once the stroke starts but TDC won't line up until the very top of course, so once you start to hear or feel compression you need to slow down, find a way to note the top/wait for no more compression and line up from there. I know what you mean by grabbing serp belt.... no way it's happening. You can use your a socket on your alternator to do it by hand so its nice and slow and controlled.

So does that Casper's setting cap stay on the car? Kind of like the slotted adjustment since I did put a roller cam in the car and may need to do some slight adjusting.

So does that Casper's setting cap stay on the car? Kind of like the slotted adjustment since I did put a roller cam in the car and may need to do some slight adjusting.
I had one. Cost me a lot of time troubleshooting then money for someone else to find it. Imo it's not worth it. The cap died on me in less than a yr.

Yes sir, once installed, setup, tighten it down and it stays in the car. When its running you have a little RED led in the engine compartment flashing but it is not biggie at all, light doesn't stay on once the key is off even if it magically lines up at the correct spot.

I can't speak 100% for longevity but I am in a very cold and decently warm climate that changes all the time, this cap has been on the car now for at least 5-6 years I believe from the previous owner, 2-3 years of driving and 3 years of storage and it is still working. I believe I have those years correct so I wouldn't be too worried about it going out on you? Maybe that's why the cap is harder to find on their site these days than the box? Not too sure....