Cam plug and oiling plugs?

Turborookie83

I finally got the crank/rods/pistons together and was going to stuff the cam in the block, but i noticed the cam plug in the back isn't in and there are two threaded holes there too. on the front, there are two holes that go to the threaded holes in the back with dimples around the circumference. What gets plugged...and what doesn't? Any dos or donts on sealants used here or easy mistakes that will mess anything up? BTW its an 83 3.8 motor.
Thanks,
Marc

That is your oil galleries. Make sure you have those clean before assembly.

The rear ones are threaded plug. The front ones take plugs. Be careful with driving the passenger side. If the plug is driven too far in, it'll block oil flow. A common mod is to tap the front oil galleries to accept a thread allen plug. TA Performance sells the correct plugs for this mod. The passenger side plug is shaved down to prevent blocking. When tapping the passenger side, tap little by little, try the plug so it doesn't go too far in.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

should i use rtv here or just drive them in dry? I am assuming oil pressure drop if they are not sealed? Also can the cam plug in the back be driven in too far?

should i use rtv here or just drive them in dry? I am assuming oil pressure drop if they are not sealed? Also can the cam plug in the back be driven in too far?

If your not going to use the TA threaded replacement plugs gnxtc2 is suggesting, I recommend you stake the plugs after driven in. I use a small chisel and go to the inside of the factory staking.
I have read a few post where guys have had these plugs push out after rebuild. So far, I have not lost one but I have always restaked the plugs.