Cam Choice

AKTURBOTA

I presently have a Comp Cam in my 4.1 it was purchased from Full Throttle and is one of their Revolution hydraulic rollers. Its specs are:

Intake 210 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 215 @ .050 .516 lift
110 L/S (installs at 110)

(lift with stock rockers)
Best street/strip cam with 2800+ converter Stock idle and drivability. STRONG midrange power

The idle quality was rather smooth, but you could tell it had a cam.

I am having to rebuild the 4.1 motor in my TTA and was pondering the prospect of getting more aggressive with the cam I was thinking of going with another Full Throttle Revolution hydro roller as follows:

Intake 215 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 220 @ .050 .529 lift
112 L/S (installs at 110)
(lift with stock rockers)
Best max effort street/strip cam for 231" with 3500+ converter Choppy (but not too bad) idle, smooth idle in stroker and good drivability. STRONG midrange top end power. Roller rockers recommended

Has anybody used the cam above? Were you happy with its idle quality? I have a 3200 stall torque converter would I need to upgrade to run this cam in my combination. Please see my sig for what I have. I am thinking that the extra 21 CID would create more torque to overcome the need for a higher stall torque converter. What do you think?

I guess it depends on your goals and what RPM. Whoever built the motor the first time probably spec'd the combo out (rockers,cam/lifters,heads) for good performance. I know there are many TB's running smaller cams like 206/206 on 109's without crazy lift and getting good results with the matching combo. Your motor/converter combo should spool that T66BB pretty fast anyway. Looking at low 10's?

I chose the current cam, but now is a time to upgrade. I am shooting for low tens. I guess I would rather not rev past 6000 rpm, but the bigger 215/220 cam appears to be more powerful in the mid range to top end. The cylinderheads as well as the intake manifold have been ported and polished, so it can move much moreair, so bigger cam probably be necessary to take advantage of the modification

Sir,
I would use the cam that you have. Raise the static compression in the motor to 9.0. Also buy the used Jim Dunn intercooler that is for sale on here and if you have a 3 inch MAF pipe you should change it to a 4 inch. You will see a big improvment in performance by taking the choke points out of the intake track. Just my thoughts.
Bob