Cam break in

scottyb86t

Sort of a dumb question here. I am getting ready to fire up my new build in the next day or so. My question is, what is the best way to set the rpm at 2500 for the cam break in? I will likely be doing this alone and will need to be able to check for leaks while the engine is running, so needless to say I cannot sit in the car with my foot on the pedal or hold the throttle linkage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sort of a dumb question here. I am getting ready to fire up my new build in the next day or so. My question is, what is the best way to set the rpm at 2500 for the cam break in? I will likely be doing this alone and will need to be able to check for leaks while the engine is running, so needless to say I cannot sit in the car with my foot on the pedal or hold the throttle linkage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

simple wedge spacer between the throttle stop and linkage arm

simple wedge spacer between the throttle stop and linkage arm
What's the best way to do this? I dont want to start the car then move to the engine compartment or start it with the throttle open. Forgive me if I am being anal, I just don't want to wipe my new cam lol.

You don't know anyone that can help you that day?

It's nice to have an extra pair of eyes & hands.

You will need two people for sure,because when the motor gets going the water you put in the rad will get suck dry when the thermostat opens.

just like turbo89 said, use some sort of wedge, start the motor get out and install the wedge to where the engine is running at about 2000 rpm for approx. 7 to 8 minutes then bump it up to 2500 rpm for another 7 to 8 mins. and lastly run it down to 1500 for 7 to 8 mins. this way you can keep eye on gauges and can check for leaks while breaking in cam, after this you should be good to go.This is the best way I have found and I still do quite a few engines for the muscle car guys in my area and most of them still have flat tappets in them.MAKE SURE YOU USE THE ZDDP ADDITIVE IN YOUR OIL FOR BRAKE IN AND FROM HERE ON OUT OR YOU WILL FLATTEN CAM OUT.

Good point. Ill wait for help or have a buddy call in sick. Thanks

you don't need 2 people ... people have done this thousands of times its not a big deal .. all it takes is a bit of planning and having things ready to go so your not fumbling looking around ...

Prepare everything to be ready and at easy access

First on the list is a FIRE EXTINGUISHER .. just saying its a smart thing to have ready to go with the pin pulled and ready to shoot
Next is pure water .. I like to have a gallon container open .. JUST CAUSE
then your typical antifreeze mix to have ready to pour to fill the radiator ...
I like to also have the ECM plug out and exposed so I can get to it easy if I need to rather than running all the way into the car to kill the keys .. if you pull the plug on the ECM .. EVERYTHING stops as far as the motor / fuel is concerned.

I forgot also nice to have a simple house fan blowing on HIGH just to get ANY air movement to the front of the car..

Personally I try to get the initial 15 minute break in done just to make sure there are NO LEAKS and nothing is out of the norm temp or fluid level wise ... then I like to actually drive the car around and vary the RPM .. this is key.. just make sure to have WATER and extinguisher with you and this is where I like to have a buddy ride along ..

now back to your initial question .. a wedge .. I typically use a wooden wedge that is used to shim door frames ... as its long and allows for a pretty broad RPM range .. wrap it with electrical tape .. sticky side out ... that will hold it in place ..

should be simple process from there ..

Last edited:
you don't need 2 people ... people have done this thousands of times its not a big deal .. all it takes is a bit of planning and having things ready to go so your not fumbling looking around ...

Prepare everything to be ready and at easy access

First on the list is a FIRE EXTINGUISHER .. just saying its a smart thing to have ready to go with the pin pulled and ready to shoot
Next is pure water .. I like to have a gallon container open .. JUST CAUSE
then your typical antifreeze mix to have ready to pour to fill the radiator ...
I like to also have the ECM plug out and exposed so I can get to it easy if I need to rather than running all the way into the car to kill the keys .. if you pull the plug on the ECM .. EVERYTHING stops as far as the motor / fuel is concerned.

I forgot also nice to have a simple house fan blowing on HIGH just to get ANY air movement to the front of the car..

Personally I try to get the initial 15 minute break in done just to make sure there are NO LEAKS and nothing is out of the norm temp or fluid level wise ... then I like to actually drive the car around and vary the RPM .. this is key.. just make sure to have WATER and extinguisher with you and this is where I like to have a buddy ride along ..

now back to your initial question .. a wedge .. I typically use a wooden wedge that is used to shim door frames ... as its long and allows for a pretty broad RPM range .. wrap it with electrical tape .. sticky side out ... that will hold it in place ..

should be simple process from there ..
Thanks everyone. I believe I'll have an extra set of hands anyway. Thx