Cam Bearing Question

meenkeene518

Hey guys,

Im building a motor here, and in both the motors that ive had in the car, both of them had severly worn cam bearings. I was wondering if anyone has info on imporved cam bearings, or anything i can do to keep this from happening again. part numbers and prices on stuff if anyone has these bearings.

Thanks,

Logan

I would highly recommend the hard aluminum cam bearings from TA Perf that are grooved on the backside. When I got mine they just had the hardened bearings, now I see they offer teflon coated as well. That would be nice.

I seem to remember a more basic teflon coated cam bearing is available from other sources. That would be an option too, though I personally would get the TA bearings. I've seen several guys mention using these.

I would use one or the other and nothing else. Guys that should know have said in the past that the cam bearings that came in the car from the factory were hardened, and that the regular parts house cam bearings are too soft, softer than the factory ones.

John

I use an aluminum one in the front position and avoid high volume pumps, high viscosity oils, and revving the engine while its cold. Those 3 things will reduce the wear on the front bearing. Some of the new cams are not grooved which helps by increasing the bearing surface in the front journal. Clevite's are aluminum.

Bison,I would love to get my hands on a flat tappet cam with no front groove. Only cams I've found without the groove are rollers. I have a roller for that reason in the T.:)

Bison,I would love to get my hands on a flat tappet cam with no front groove. Only cams I've found without the groove are rollers. I have a roller for that reason in the T.:)
Im not positive but i think that the blanks comp uses now are available non-grooved. This may only be roller blanks though. Id call their tech line to verify.