Cam bearing clocking

Sleeper

Sorry for the double posting, but there is more traffic here than in the Stage II area.
I have a 4.1 Stage 1 block and wanted to change out the cam bearing for the new cam. I noticed that the new cam does not have a groove in it, and got a bearing set that had a groove on the back side. Need some help trying to figure out how to clock this new bearing with the two oil holes. Do I clock it to line up with the block holes, or offset it to direct more oil to the mains, or will that not make any difference because it has a backside groove?
Pics below show what I have
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC03904.JPG
    DSC03904.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • DSC03909.JPG
    DSC03909.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • DSC03910.JPG
    DSC03910.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • DSC03915.JPG
    DSC03915.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 177
It's too bad you have a full groove on the back side. When I built my 4.1 I hand cut a groove on the block to connect the lifter valleys and installed my cam bearing with the oil hole at 4:30.

Since you have a full groove, I'd put one hole around 5:00 and see where the other lands. If it's somewhere around 3:00 or lower, that should be pretty close

5 and 11??? The holes are 180* apart? I run durabond's (without the groove. pretty sure mine are B12's) and I don't think mine are like that. I noticed on your picture it says to put one hole at 3:00 but it doesn't say big or small. That pretty much sucks.

Let me see if I can find a pic of my bearings in the block

If that's the only choice put the small hole on the passenger side of the block. Try to liming the amount of hemorrhaging that happens before the oil gets to the loaded part of the camshaft.

I found a shot of my durabond bearing with a cam bearing tool I built. my holes aren't 180* apart like yours are (and the holes look smaller)

IM002290.jpg

judging by the grooves I cut with my dremel I used 3:00 and 7:00..
IM002306.jpg

IM002308.jpg

Having one hole would have been nicer. It would be nice to source a bearing with the same ID and OD and one hole.

Thanks for the pics Earl.
Hmm... As you said the instructions even say put 'The" hole at 3.00 o'clock. Makes me wonder if this bearing has been modified and drilled for the extra hole? (I just grabbed them from my machinist) Gonna have a closer look at the bearing.
I could try to reverse the bearing so one hole lines up on the passenger side feed, and the other hole maligns missing the drivers side.

BTW Nice DIY cam bearing tool. I was going to make one, but found a used Lisle missing a washer for cheap.

If you notice my cam bearing tool has a boss on the end... That's sized to knock in Buick V6 freeze plugs :)

Your bearing is most likely stock. I just find it odd that Durabond thinks the loaded areas that need oil move if the bearing has a groove on the backside :\

When I orientated mine, I choose the least screwed up with what I had to work with. My main goal was to block off that large slot at 9:00. It's very important not to let that area hemorrhage any more oil than possible. The way the oiling system works is ALL the oil goes to that area, whatever oil doesn't get hemorrhaged is what the rest of the entire engine has to divide up.

That's why I mentioned the groove on the back side of your bearing. Since mind doesn't have that groove, I get to have a little more oil control as I chose the dimensions of my groove and that huge oil slot on the block is blocked off by a solid part of my bearing. Doing that allowed me to meter the oil to the front cam bearing and DS lifter gallery. Without flinging oil all over the place it keeps me from risking a low pressure situation with the mains and rods(where I really need it).

With yours being fully grooved and having holes 180 apart, there's really no good way to set your clocking.

Nice!
Had a closer look at my bearing and it was DRILLED! Called my machinist and he apologized and said he would order me a new set on Monday :) Really wanted to button up the bottom end this weekend. Oh well, the grass needs cutting...

That's odd. Every front bearing I've seen has a two holes. Yours is the first I've seen 180 apart from each other.

That's just odd as hell. My durabond B12 bearings have 2 holes in them. Normally I like having multiple holes but this time it'd be nice to have a solid back single holer. :)