calling everyone with rear discs, and those who know about them.

1Badelky

anyone used these? Hassle free drum rear disc conversion to 1LE/ LT1 PBR rear brakes - Brake Board - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Supposed to utilize PBR brakes for third gen f-bodies. Do they require shock relocation on g-bodies?

I'd use LS1's but they require cutting the mounting surface, drilling and tapping, and relocating the rear shocks to clear the caliper. I don't want to cut and fab.

Then there's SSBC. are they good? how about mods required? Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC)

Then scarebird. Any experience? Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC

are there any I missed?

which is the best with extensive mods? what can I expect?

Hassle free drum rear disc conversion to 1LE/ LT1 PBR rear brakes - Brake Board - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards Now that's the way to do it! Most people hack the hell out of the flanges. That adapter looks like what most of the companies that make 4WDB kits use. I want to use those with the 4th gen discs on my car. I dont see why the shock would have to be relocated. It looks tight but I'm thinking the PBR caliper clears. I'll try and dig up a pic of the G-body plate I've seen.

Any luck with that G body plate?? I looked at his demo and his axle in the pics looks g-body'ish?? Im curious if those plates will work??? Looks like a clean and reliable way to go!

the ones for the 10 bolt f-body rear are the same as ours. the thing is, the f-body guys don't have the shock right there next to the flange to worry about, hence my problem.

I bought my Baer rear disk brakes from Cottons Performance and love them. The fit great and work outstanding. The emergency brake even works!
Conrad

I would think that the pads and rotors would be available from non-Baer sources but have not looked into it. Anyone know for sure?
Conrad

I've eliminated the following from my options:

scarebird- iron caliper if you want a parking brake, and are low performance and require the axle to be machined down

wilwood- requires same mods as LS1 for an ungodly price. unless you want the drag lite bolt ons with no ebrake provision... no thanks.

the first SSBC link I posted- iron caliper, non-GM wearparts, requires flange to be drilled and tapped.

I have narrowed it down to the following:
PBR kit from Ebmiller88- most likely what I'll get

if that doesn't work out I still have:
LS1- cut the flange down and relocate the shocks, but no possibility of ever going back to metric flange.

SSBC Stainless Steel Brakes A127 - Stainless Steel Brakes Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits - summitracing.com- 11 rear brakes, aluminum caliper. bolt-on, but still relocates shocks, just includes the L-bracket which doesn't look sturdy at all. also uses special order pads you only get from them, so very unlikely I'll use them over another kit.

Baer- almost identical to PBR setup but uses C4 parts instead of Camaro.

these are all the kit's I'm aware of with the exception of the speedway motors kit which is truly a POS. iron calipers, small iron rotor, non-GM wearparts... I'd rather have the drums than this kit. there's all the pros and cons in a nutshell in case someone else is wanting to look into this.

What About ...baer Iron Sport Rear Disc Brakes With E- Brake ,795.00 Dollars ...this System Is Suppose To Be Bolt On And I Am Told They Fit Our Cars

On the brake mounting flange there is step, near where it goes to the big mounting bolt. The hassle free drum rear disc conversion mounting adapter doesn't have the step. It looks as if he just cranked down the bolt until it stops. The plate looks bent when tightened down. This adapter is made for the rear discs from '89-'97 F-body

Scarebird accomodates this step in his adapter. Scarebirds adapter is made to fit the Eldo calipers.

I wonder why the hassle free conversion mounts the caliper so low.

I noticed the step, but thought nothing of it..... I'm reconsidering LS1 now. I don't want scarebird because I have to machine the axles. I'd rather cut and tap the mounting surface, but mount the calipers toward the front side of the car like on Camaros so I avoid shock interference.

I'll ash Ed about the step.

well, I think the problem could be corrected by spacing the bottom of the plate out using washers where the bottom bolts go in.

for those of you with LS1 brakes, why don't you just swap the backing plates around so the caliper will be mounted in front of the axle tube instead of where the shock is? does the bumpstop bracket interfere?

Don't forget about the emergency brake and the accompanying e-brake cables. You do want a functioning e-brake!
Conrad

well, I got a response. he includes washers to correct the problem.

I'll be using Lokar universal ebrake cables.

How much will this cost in the end. Also, who do I contact if I'm interested as well?