California PD Crush Street racers cars

Check out this thread from last year. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/220535-check-out-b-s-we-have-deal.html

While I hate the "stupid" ricers just like everybody else I dont think crushing cars is the answer. In several states just exciding the posted speed limit by 20MPH qualifies you as "street racing" in the eyes of "The Man". After they run out of ricers than it's just a matter of time before they start looking for something else. Since that story mentions Orlando I have to add my $.02 here. Almost every Weds night there is "grudge" racing at the local strip here. It's a F'n joke. Who wants to wait 60 minutes or more to make a run? Put me in charge of Weds night racing program and I'll get those street racers off the street, even if it is only for one night. The problem with the track is they treat it like drag racing. I'd make a true street racing venue. Shut off the tree and the starter would use a flag like that Pinks guy. No burn outs.No time slips. Just the win bulb so there is no confusion on who got to the finish first. And if some one dumps oil and water on the track than it's everybody tough luck. If you drive like an a$$ or hit the rail and survive than you're banned for life. I'd even sue you for damage to the track and property.If you wreck, I impound your car until your bill is paid. Dont pay, I sell your car. I bet if done properly I could move a pair of cars down the track every two minutes which in turn would make everybody happy and they would come back every Weds night for more. Pretty soon it would get boring racing on the street and most of the problem would disappear. Yeah I know. Dream On!:mad:

You know I just reread the Kali crushing car story. I got a chuckle from this line
Zavala, who admits he has been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

Dude! Grow a set! I would never admit that my Mom gave me money to make my car go slower. He must be a popular guy on Sat night."Oh Ya! Is your mommy going to drive for you too!":rolleyes:

When the gov't confiscates property because it's "dangerous" I have to wonder when the confiscation will end.

Down here in so cal a lot of people like to ride 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc out in the sand dunes. People get hurt and killed there almost every weekend. Lets ban that too and take their dune buggies and bikes.

How about jet skis.. ban those and confiscate all of them

motorcycles... far more people die motorcycling every year than street racing. Heck a guy i work with hit another guy head on (motorcycle to motorcycle) and killed someone.

Why dont we ban and confiscate motorcycles?

Now i know what you are thinking.. "But they are doing this illegally and being caught in the act!"

Lots of things are illegal that people do every day that has the potential for killing someone. The number of people street racing that get killed is almost completely insignificant

Millions of street races happen every day and no one is hurt. Millions of people swim in swimming pools and no one drowns. Millions of people jump on trampolines and no one breaks their neck. A few do though... but they arent as sensational as "STREET RACING!"

Contrast this with the fact that in 2006 there were 480 murders in Los Angeles alone. Thats probably more deaths than the past 5 years from street racing nationwide.

Do we really need to spend all this money and focus on our attention on street racing when LA has as many murders as some war zones?

Seems kind of silly to me. That article amused me. .they make it sound like street racing is this seedy underworld out of the movies. Sensationalism sells.

Nuthin new, they were doing this 3 + years ago, first with a mid 80's Camaro, then a Mustang, then the Hondas. But this has gotten mixed results from different boards....some feel the cars should be parted and/or sold at auction, but the cops I guess feel crushing them will take one more ricer off the road, yet another will be born shortly.

We could back to the "eye for eye" method....if you kill someone in the process of street racing they kill the driver....bet no one would think that was fair.

Oh and here's another one.....they're shutting down all of the old tracks at what it seems to be a faster rate than they are building new ones yet that takes away the habitat for racers...you'll always still have a few exceptions though.

I hat eto see it, BUT the reason they were crushed was not racing alone, it was also stolen parts that they could not produce receipts for. They all had their chance to do so.
I hate to see Mugen wheels on a crushed car, (and a few other items I am spotting worth a big $$) rare and expensive and seems better suited as being sold at a police auction vs scrapped.

When the gov't confiscates property because it's "dangerous" I have to wonder when the confiscation will end.

Down here in so cal a lot of people like to ride 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc out in the sand dunes. People get hurt and killed there almost every weekend. Lets ban that too and take their dune buggies and bikes.

motorcycles... far more people die motorcycling every year than street racing. Heck a guy i work with hit another guy head on (motorcycle to motorcycle) and killed someone.

Now i know what you are thinking.. "But they are doing this illegally and being caught in the act!"

Lots of things are illegal that people do every day that has the potential for killing someone. The number of people street racing that get killed is almost completely insignificant

Millions of street races happen every day and no one is hurt. Millions of people swim in swimming pools and no one drowns. Millions of people jump on trampolines and no one breaks their neck. A few do though... but they arent as sensational as "STREET RACING!"

Contrast this with the fact that in 2006 there were 480 murders in Los Angeles alone. Thats probably more deaths than the past 5 years from street racing nationwide.

Do we really need to spend all this money and focus on our attention on street racing when LA has as many murders as some war zones?

Seems kind of silly to me. That article amused me. .they make it sound like street racing is this seedy underworld out of the movies. Sensationalism sells.

I agree 100% when something like this starts when and where does it stop?

I've been in hundreds of street races. Never got cought, either in the boonies or down Scottsville Rd. (Bowling Green). You have to what's called "look around" It requires removing ones head from specified individual's a$$.
Once you've scanned your area, let it rip. All the tickets I get are from being in a genuine hurry on the open interstate in my daily driven car. Bored KSP on OPEN interstate with no traffic see a camry going 80mph as a "serious hazard" I guess. There should be no speed limit on interstate roads, but that's another topic.

I don't know if nopticed this in the CNN video. The guy said he interview the kid who crashed his Civic at 110 mph. The kid claim to have RX7 before that he occasionally had up to 150mph. I think I got the quote right. "Faster than 100mph he couldn't tell the difference, just everything wizzing by him".

Yeah right their no difference feeling between 100 and 150mph. I haven't done 150 probably mids 140's as passagenger. 100mph feels a lot different than 120mph in how a car feels, drives and handle, 140's feel a hell of a lot faster than 100mph. Typical idiot racing a Honda doing some bragging. If he had RX7 that could do 150mph he would waste his time pushing his Honda past 100.

You hit the nail square on the head. Sensationalism sells.

Here's a problem (and not just in LA)- the attitude of the street racers have changed.

20+ years ago, I raced in SoCal. Hell, I even met TurboDave at one of the San Diego get togethers. We didn't carry guns, play stupid with traffic, or have miles of cars snaking thru traffic to watch the races. We kept way under the radar and did our best to not attract attention.

We'd set up the races at X location and X time, and people would show up. The location would usually be somewhere rather remote, away from the normal traffic and residential areas. We'd race most of the night; this would go on weekend after weekend.

Today, most street racign is done using "The Fast ansd the Furious" as a role model. Add to that the arrogance of today's ricer, and there you go. As far as banning everything- that won't happen.

While I don't agree with crushing the cars, if it gets their attention, then it's done its job.

SouthernCal GN said:
While I don't agree with crushing the cars, if it gets their attention, then it's done its job.

It does not get their attention . . .

Oh; I do not agree with crushing the cars either.

Later AJ

Look at it any way you like. Taking someones property and destroying it IS illegal! How is this any different???
Slap them with fines, jailtime, public service, whatever other punishments you get when you are caught committing a crime.

Racing can get your vehicle crushed, but DUI/DWI gets it impounded! WOW!

Look at it any way you like. Taking someones property and destroying it IS illegal! How is this any different???
Slap them with fines, jailtime, public service, whatever other punishments you get when you are caught committing a crime.

Racing can get your vehicle crushed, but DUI/DWI gets it impounded! WOW!

Good freakin point! Didn't think of that. DUI accidents happen WAY more than street racing accidents. I've never even known anyone that had ever even seen an accident in all the years of being around this stuff. Maybe it's different here in the bible belt. I guess we have a lot more places to go out in the country to race. We also have several 1/8 mile strips and Beach Bend 1/4 mile strip in Bowling Green to draw the real crazies from the streets. Only thing that sucks is that the street cars pay the same money $10.00, but we sit the staging lanes for ever, hence street racing. FREE

I bet if done properly I could move a pair of cars down the track every two minutes which in turn would make everybody happy and they would come back every Weds night for more.

Would two minutes actually be enough time for them to get to the end of the track??? :biggrin:

Would two minutes actually be enough time for them to get to the end of the track??? :biggrin:

Good point! I forgot these are 4 cylinder chit boxes. Okay no more 1/4 mile. Put in the first return road gate after the 1/8 mile mark!:rolleyes: