CA Smog Info Needed

sugarandopium

where were the spiders
Will probably be moving to SoCal within a year.
My other vehicles are either stock or a few bolts away from passing a sniff test.

The buick on the otherhand....
has no cat, open air filter coming off the MAF pipe, 60# injectors, downpipe, ta49, alky...
Pretty much all the usual basic mods on these cars, disregard signature... havent been updating it..
The engine is still stock/unopened though.

How much trouble am I going to have getting this car registered/inspected?
I read somewhere a while ago that the car has to go through a serious inspection
with both visual and sniff test BS before they will even register a car, is this true?

If I put a cat, stock air box, and tt emissions chip, will that suffice?
Will the aftermarket downpipe cause problems with the visual?
How often do you have to go through inspection there?

I figure this is prob a big N-O, but are there any ways to get around it..
such as some states that have collector, classic, antique, limited use type registrations that do not require inspections?

What are you guys with the lightly modded TR's doing to pass?
Thanks in advance for any info/advice!!!

There is no way of getting around it in SoCal :( Put the cat back on along with the air box and remove the Alky. Make sure you have no open breathers. They will do a visual on it. Be prepared to take the car to a smog only station every two years for inspection. GN's are considered "High Profile Emitters" in California and most are required to go to smog test stations every two years. My son lives in SoCal and gets a notice every two years to take the car to one of these stations for testing.

After having lived in SoCal for over 12 years, I can tell you that you will need (at smog check time that is) to return it to 100% smog functional both operationally and visually, even stupid little things like that vent tube that runs from the passenger side valve cover to the turbo inlet must be in place. And you'll need a VERY good smog chip.!! I don't know anything about the TT emissions chips, but in my experience the BEST smog chip is to take a stock emissions chip and change nothing but the injector constant to match the injectors in the car.

Downpipes seemed to not cause any issues.

I'm sure the registration inspections are different than they were when I moved there back in 89. All I got was an intense visual.

Smog inspections are every two years, and almost all Turbo Regals are now considered poluters, and have to go to "test only" stations which means you don't get to pick and choose who you get to see for the smog test.

It was a blessed day when I got laid off way back then, it gave me the perfect excuse to get out of that crap state.

I just left SoCal last year. It is true that you basically need to put the car to stock. Must have a cat and I would put the stock DP back on for good measure. I went to one station and they told me the turbo was not stock. After a little bit of convincing we resolved that issue. ;)

Anyway, as far as test only stations, after speaking to the DMV, it's all random. Some were test only, some were not. Depending where you go I can give you the name of the smog place I used. The guy became familiar with TR's and if the car did not pass (this happened once with a new cat and TT smog chip) he'd suggest things I could do to correct the issue. Most places will not tell you anything except that you didn't pass.

Also, make sure that you have a new gas cap as they check those too. Smog checks are every 2 years for older cars and after 4 years for a new car.

BTW, as soon as you get to SoCal, get a AAA membership. They have a DMV in their local office and you can get in and out in only a few minutes as opposed to the all day affair at the local DMV. (Best kept secret over there).

Good Luck.:cool:

And you'll need a VERY good smog chip.!! I don't know anything about the TT emissions chips, but in my experience the BEST smog chip is to take a stock emissions chip and change nothing but the injector constant to match the injectors in the car.

That is what my son does. He takes the 60# injectors out and puts 42's in and uses the stock BBKJ chip with the injector constant changed to 42's. It passes with no problems. The smog numbers are well within spec. :)