Buying A car from Canada

mystic664

Has anybody bought a car from Canada and if so whats it take to get it through customs? Any info on this would be great. Thanks

I went with the seller and did all the paper work at their DMV and got a temporary plate to drive the car home to Illinois. The seller also got me a letter from GM stating the car was emissions legal for the US. I needed this at Customs because the car was origanlly built for Canada. It has French stickers in the trunk and under the hood. climate control is also in celcius. Hope this helps it was eight years ago. If I think of more I will let you know

Dave

You will NEED to prove that the car meets federal safety and emission standards. If the car has the correct sticker on the heater box (stating that it meets US, not Canadian standards), you are fine. If the car was originally sold in Canada, then you will have to contact a private company in Quebec (I think) and have them issue a notorized letter stating that it does meet federal standards. The car is too old for GM to do this. Normally they do if the car is less than "X" years old. (forgot the number) A Turbo Regal all do, but Customs doesn't know that. It will cost you about $90 for the letter. Call GM in Canada and ask them for the number for the company. It takes a little hunting. I don't have the number anymore. The company is real quick, but only takes VISA, not a Mastercard, though. I had to send them a money order in Canadian funds. You better have all this info when you cross the border, though. You will have to get it safety and emissions inspected if it is a street driver, too. Not a big deal if you have everything prepared ahead of time.

Oh sweet !! Genuine French Touch :biggrin:

It should have bilingual labels all over the car, plus a metric speedometer and odometer (in Km's). The owner's manual is also supplied both in french and english...I know all this 'cause I have one!...:biggrin:

Claude. :)