Bushings for Rear Control Arms

quazzy81

I am going to bow my rear control arms myself. I was wondering if anyone sold just the bushing (hi-perf.) for these.
Thanks
Brendan

You can use the heavy duty (LT1?) bushings from an "F" body, or you can get poly bushings from Energy or PTS, not sure if they will sell just the ones you want, though. You might have to buy more than you need.

I am going to need the bushings for the upper and lower control arms. Would PST stock these?

Brendan

Rubber or spherical in the back.

Poly will send you into a wall. Been there, done it, doesn't work well.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9237

Fourth post down. Look at the effective wheel rates for poly versus OEM rubber and spherical. Granted, that study was done on a Mustang rear end, but our four link is going to suffer the same behavior as theirs.

Yes, what inKy said, and it is especially true if the control arms are boxed. Somewhere, a year or two ago, I saw instructions for modifying bushings so that they were "stiff" in the front-to-back direction, to stop wheel hop, but they were "soft" in twist, so they did not bind in cornering. It involved cutting a stock bushing, taking a "slice" of rubber out of the middle, and replacing it with a short donut made out of hard plastic, or even aluminum. When re-assembled, the soft rubber at the ends allows the LCA to twist, reducing bind, while the hard donut in the middle will take the fore-and-aft loads, and prevent excess movements. Wish I had the details, but I think it was another mustang posting.