Burning some oil on startup... turbo or valve seals?

D

Datsunboy

Hey guys, when i fire up my car after its been off (even just a few minutes), I get a big POOF of smoke from the exhaust. Definitely oil, it smells like nasty burnt oil.

Its either my valve guides, or the turbo. If i remember correctly, when the valve seals go, ill get smoke on decelleration too (I cant tell because of tint).

Its definitely there on startup though! PEEW

Thanks guys, Ill be pulling some plugs to check thier condition tomorrow. I hope its not a turbo, im not ready for one yet, need to make alot of other changes/mods to the car first.

Thanks - Evan

Valve guides/valve seals. The oil can run down them after the car sits and "puddle" on the back of the valve so when you fire it up, it burns off quickly. During operation, the amount would be so minute' you'd never notice it.

Dont overlook the PCV system sucking oil also. Oil puddles in the short length of hose attached to the throttle body and will suck it in on start up, or after getting off the highway (backing off the gas) and creating a high vacuum condition, then when you accelerate, it "swallows" the oil. Just something else to consider:D Mark

Thanks guys, sounds like its the valve seals. On the other hand, I am going to put on a set of ported heads anyway, so im glad its not the turbo!

Evan

BTW.. im going to post another thread about what exactly to do with the heads.

PCV valve....

Ok I get a little oil seepage from my vacum block, why the hell do we get oil in the vaccum lines? Is there ANY way to keep this from happening? Is this normal? Its not excessive just a little smooh around the edges, just a little damp, not drops or anything. ;)