Bumper brackets

ATS666

I have seen bumper brackets for sale for GN's. I have a 81 monte that I want to get rid of the bumper shocks and switch to brackets.

Are these the same?

Can some plz link me to the brackets?

If they are not the same then I will have to make some up....

Thanx alot!

GN's have bumber shocks also that collapse/compress on impact mounted on the front of the 2 frame rails. Not sure what you are referring to as "brackets".

just remember that if you get rid of the bumber shocks if you hit something head on you will sustain more damage. Even from a small bump cause there is nothing to absorb the impact.

ATS,

The aluminum "bumper shock" pieces weigh about a pound each and are made of thin aluminum. These are intended to bolt between the bumper support (that's the piece that spans the length of the bumper) and the frame horns in lieu of the "shock absorber" that allows the bumper to push back to some degree upon impact. At one time I had a pair of these that I bought from Bowling Green Customs years and years ago, but I sold them a long time ago to a guy that was running a fiberglass front bumper on his strip-only GN, which is really what these pieces were for. These replacement "shocks" were intended for the guy looking to take as much weight off the front as possible.

Now, there are lightweight bumper brackets you can obtain that bolt to the bumper's face that take the place of the large bumper support most Buicks received. I say "most", as Regals destined for export received these smaller bumper brackets from the factory seeing as export Buicks didn't have to meet the USA's 5 MPH bumper requirement. The brackets I speak of weigh about 3 pounds each, are about 10" wide, and attach to the bumper face in three places--- two behind the rub strip, and one at the bottom lip. I don't have the part numbers handy, but I've heard these brackets are available in Canada. If you like, I can take a picture of the underside front of my car as I've had a set of these brackets on my GN for several years now. That way, you can visualize what they look like.

EDIT: The brackets I describe above then allow the bumper to be mounted to the factory bumper shocks using the two "dogbone" pieces with the four 13mm nuts per side.

Good luck!

Here-- I did a search and came up with this post from September 2002:

"those are 2.5 mph bumber brackets. The general consensus is that they came on some 1984 and 1985 US Regals.

The part numbers for these brackets is 25517838 and 25517839
and they used to be $10.12 each when they were available from GM.

When bolting them on, you can no longer use the plastic filler that mounts to the bumper support near the grill, if that matters.

The total weight of the brackets and bolts installed is approximately 6lbs, so they save about 6 lbs over the full-length aluminum bumper support. I only have 1986's so I don't know how much they save over a steel support. 45lbs seems like a lot. If I were to guess, I'd say 27lbs, but that's just a guess (A lot better guess than 45lbs would be, though).

Caveats to the install are that a minor impact (more than 2.5 mph) will likely buckle and damage the front bumper, while it won't up to 5 mph with the long aluminum support in place...."

Thanx for the part numbers. I will see if they are still available.

My car isn't a daily driver, and will never be again.
I already removed my front sway bar and swapped in a manual steering box and removed a/c and heater and no emissions.

I am looking for an aluminum rad support or to swiss cheese my current one.

If i could find aluminum brackets to replace the bumper shocks I would get them.

If you wouldn't mind taking a pic of the light weight bumper brackets on your car it would help to visualize what they look like.
If u can post them it would be cool or if you wanted to email them to me that would be good too (asuigu@hotmail.com)

Thanx for your help

those parts are no longer avalible from GM

no I didn't get the email, can you please send it again>?

thanx

Originally posted by ATS666
Thanx for the part numbers. I will see if they are still available.

If i could find aluminum brackets to replace the bumper shocks I would get them.

Thanx for your help

The brackets on a GN & on an SS are different patterns on the bumper. Where it bolts to the frame is the same but the pattern that bolts to the bumper support would not be the same. The SS is taller up & down & is narrower side to side.