Bumper Brace mod's?

6togo

Wondering if anyone played around with their steel or alum. bumper braces and cut them down similar to the export type for weight savings? I have alum. braces and i think they should be ok cut down and still keep some strength Vs. fiberglass.

I hacked mine up years ago and fell out at how much weight I knocked off. I forget the exact number but it was somewhere around 40 or 50 pounds +.

Getting ready to do some cutting on the aluminum supports are they strong enough once you cut them down to support the bumpers good or should i get a set of steel supports and sell the alum's?

cutting up the steel support to just a bracket is big savings , about what going to alum is
the alum uncut is about 8lbs, cut up to brackets that will bolt up its about 3lbs

I know the weight is way less just wondering strength wise?

Not so much - especially with a fiberglass bumper

Track - yes

Not sure I'd do it on a street driven car
Least one that was driven semi regularly mixing with crazies.

You can definitely lose the 5 mph impact absorbers though.
They are there only to meet Federal regs.
They weigh a ton too

Let me clarify what I'm doing I'm keeping my steel bumpers I smoothed them out and its getting the aluminum type shock supports. Just wondering if and when I cut the alum. Braces behind the bumper down will they support the steel bumper not that it weighs much? This way will be a little better than fiberglass sort of a happy medium to save weight.