Buick versus Ford Event at Noble - Oct 12th 2013

You could have the first two staging lanes as street tires only No slicks or DR's. You could even have a lane (s) for DR's if need be.

Very good ideas guys. I like them. Regarding the LS cars. There are a few, how should I say this, experienced Buick people on this board that suggested it. My concern is that they no longer make a Pontiac or a Buick. I am concerned that with the amount of Coyotes that are being purchased and modded every day, that this race is quickly going to become a Ford dominated event. I personally know of 9 Fords that broke Saturday that would have almost guaranteed wins for the Ford side. I know of another 4 heavily modded Coyotes that didn't show because of military or family obligations, and about 6 more that didn't show because of being apart, and are in the process of adding boost as we speak. I am a Ford guy, I like to win, and I like to talk smack. But I don't want to see such a lopsided event. I want to see the race be close, or even a Buick dominated race every once in a while. I really don't care who wins. I am just afraid that the Ford side will start to lose interest if it becomes too lopsided. And if the news holds true, the 2015 Mustangs will be running around this time next year, and will be lighter and more powerful than the current ones. This event will always be called the GN smackdown, GN vs Mustang, Buick vs Ford. In my opinion, the race was somewhat watered down for me the minute "other" GM products were allowed. But I understood the logic behind the decision... Being that the Fords would start to lose interest and the Buick side had to find a way to get competition up for the Ford side. But if you guys have a way to achieve what we all want (decent competition) without including LS Chevrolet, by all means, that's what I prefer. Thanks for the great ideas. I will modify my earlier post about some things.

GM is still making Buick's Sir. Not on the performance scale of the Mustang but they're still making cars. I know one car that was missing this year the '89 TTA (GN powertrain) I saw none. Buick had some moderate performance cars in the Regal GS from '97 to 04 but you just don't see many. I have a '98 that runs 12's but I could not bring it this year. I trailored my son's GN with my Rainier.
Also the Pontiac GTP was a no show this year. Powered by the Buick SC 3800 same as the Regal. There is the current offering from Buick of a 270hp Regal GS with potential to get it up to 320hp on just a tune and the new ones are AWD. But being it's a 4dr and pushing 40K you won't see many.
And there is a rumor of a '15 Grand National with maybe a LS set up or the new 3.6TT that produces over 400hp. So we'll see.
My vote is still NO to Chevrolets.

Let's just vote on the chevy thing! I have feeling 90 percent of people will vote No to Chevys. Let's just pull together and rally more Buicks for next year. This includes the old Gran Sports, the 3800 fwd supercharged cars and TTAs. Add to that all Pontiacs, Olds, GMC trucks and Cadilacs and we should be able to field 100 plus cars. Seems like we beat ford one year just as bad as we got beat this year.

Simplest thing on chevy's is if it's still powered by a chevy engine it shouldn't be allowed. If a Buick has been put in it then it should be allowed. If it's something else and it's got a chevy in it it shouldn't be allowed. If it's got an LS in it along with a chevy body then it shouldn't be allowed. The LS heads are based off the Buick heads that were developed for NASCAR in the late 80's so that at least makes an LS engine partially Buick.;)

Blake, thanks for being receptive of the feedback and I do understand where the ford crowd is getting restless. I would like you to look at the results - even though the results were lopsided, I want us to know what "could have been" because many of those races were lost by within .25 seconds I believe.... and even the faster 10% of cars were really close races. OR was it a slaughter any whih way you look at it? (in my experience, the buick guys have been about 10-15 cars every year shy of having a quite compelling chance to win)

This is not an event for us to vote on, but we should help Blake in informing him of our commitment or not (individually and as a group) to making this happen.

The other thing that is needed for the Buick side to actually move forward is more organization as in years past to round up the troops and develop different incentives to get racers to the race. We need some sort of new racer sponsorship (I mean helping to pay for gas/hotel/whatever) to bring fresh owners into fold and for most guys, this is there Buick event they can come to and not race another buick and be competitive. You're actually getting to compete against buicks for qualifying position and against a ford in a race...

Something beyond this board that will entice racers to come - and I'm not talking about 10 sec and faster guys, although some of them need a kick in the pants to make it to OK. I want the average 11-12 second guy.. I'll take 30 of those and we have an event again. Every year, we can sit back and easily count at least 10 or so guys with cars sitting in the stands watching rather than racing. I say they need to sell their cars to someone actually motivated to race and move on. Harsh enough?

Simplest thing on chevy's is if it's still powered by a chevy engine it shouldn't be allowed. If a Buick has been put in it then it should be allowed. If it's something else and it's got a chevy in it it shouldn't be allowed. If it's got an LS in it along with a chevy body then it shouldn't be allowed. The LS heads are based off the Buick heads that were developed for NASCAR in the late 80's so that at least makes an LS engine partially Buick.;)

I like your thinking Charlie great minds do think alike! ;) My '08 Saturn Sky Turbo is almost a Buick too! Anyone remember the Buick Opel GT of the '70's? The '08 Sky is the exact same car at the '08 Opel GT.

Good point John, and although some races were slaughters, a lot were due to problems or breakage. My car isn't as fast as Blake's but it should have been a pretty close one.

Good point John, and although some races were slaughters, a lot were due to problems or breakage. My car isn't as fast as Blake's but it should have been a pretty close one.

Thanks for sharing the video. Boy does my big fat 3990 lb turd need some help out of the hole or what? I am going to resist buying an aftermarket torque converter. May put it on a diet and try a few more tricks to help out that 2.1 60 ft. I actually think that if your car ran right on that pass, you would have beat me! I don't think I would have had time to run you down with a 2.1 60 ft.

Thanks for sharing the video. Boy does my big fat 3990 lb turd need some help out of the hole or what? I am going to resist buying an aftermarket torque converter. May put it on a diet and try a few more tricks to help out that 2.1 60 ft. I actually think that if your car ran right on that pass, you would have beat me! I don't think I would have had time to run you down with a 2.1 60 ft.
I doubit, I was probably headed for an 11.1ish too, but you treed me. Man I'm impressed by the top end your car has.132 is flying.

Hey Will, where's the video of me hossing the gas on Mr. Giant Hood Scoop?!?!

I was standing by the bathroom waiting for "Nancy" to get out when you made your pass. I saw the first part of it, but didn't have the camera.

Nope, unloaded it and put it in the garage. Haven't even popped the hood yet. It's gotta be something simple, and I don't think it's hurt.

I was excited when a Buick guy told me before the event that next year LS powered GM would be allowed next year. Thought to my self yeah I could race and take pictures. Now after reading this pretty disappointed that Buicks don't want any part of Chevy there. I'll just keep my LS powered Chevy at home. Oh well what can you do.

I was excited when a Buick guy told me before the event that next year LS powered GM would be allowed next year. Thought to my self yeah I could race and take pictures. Now after reading this pretty disappointed that Buicks don't want any part of Chevy there. I'll just keep my LS powered Chevy at home. Oh well what can you do.

Yes Steph, I have been approached by multiple Buick guys as well that think it would be a good idea to try. And multiple that think it would be a bad idea. BUT, let's just give it a few months for the Buick camp to discuss it. Maybe after Bowling Green they can all discuss it further. I personally would like the race to be only Turbo Buick (GN) vs Mustang, but know it's very hard to get 100 Black cars to show. It's a tricky balance. If too many LS cars show, it could leave a handful of GN's sitting for the finals. And I don't want that. Ultimately, I am going to let the original promoters of this race have the discussion with other Buicks and let them decide. Either way, I can't wait for next years GN smackdown!! I love hearing a V-6 turbo wind up like a weed-eater on roids!!!

I mean no offense to Chevy owners, I am a GM guy but this event would no longer be Buick vs Ford it would turn into GM vs Ford (which it kinda has) or Chevy vs Ford with a few Buick's sprinkled in. It would no longer be a Buick event.
On the t-shirts I like the old school Buick on the shirt (I am a previous 70-72 GS owner) but I know a few people that did not buy one because there was no GN on it. It doesn't bother me (I bought two) but some people it does. Just imagine if it had a Chevy on it and no Buick at all. :(

I mean no offense to Chevy owners, I am a GM guy but this event would no longer be Buick vs Ford it would turn into GM vs Ford (which it kinda has) or Chevy vs Ford with a few Buick's sprinkled in. It would no longer be a Buick event.
On the t-shirts I like the old school Buick on the shirt (I am a previous 70-72 GS owner) but I know a few people that did not buy one because there was no GN on it. It doesn't bother me (I bought two) but some people it does. Just imagine if it had a Chevy on it and no Buick at all. :(

Next years shirt will have a black GN for sure. Maybe two GN's and two Stangs. I know Stephanie got plenty of pics of both. The shirts were not nearly as dark a grey that I asked for, and by the time I got to see a proof, it was one day out. My bad for not getting on it sooner. As far as Buick vs Ford, the payouts will be bigger next year and will surely bring out some more heavy hitter Fords.... So, if we don't add LS, you guys better start recruiting some nasty NASTY Buicks, olds, pontiacs and caddys!!!!