Buick GN/ Monaro concept

I really really like that. But then again I'm one of the few who like the GTO. That's photoshop right?

This is a computer art piece.
I am not sure why GM would
build this, I don't think the GTOs
have set the world on fire yet.

I wonder if it would have a v-8 or v-6?
I better not start that up again. ;)

would be sweet if they built that concept car with a T/A aluminum block and a turbo huffing underneath the hood!

put me inline!:D

BW

Rumor has it Buick will get a mid size rear wheel driver in 06/07?

Return of the GN/GNX? One could only wish.. Hopefully built here & not down under by then

I would like to see them use the inline 6 from the trailblazer and throw a turbo on it. That thing makes 270HP just on motor.

Grand National

I don't think we will ever see a Buick Grand National again. I am speculating, but I know that GM does not own the rights to that name and probably wouldn't spend the dough required to use it again. That's why the black concept car they put out last year was called to GNX, a name they own.

Ravi

p.s. Chevrolet would never allow Buick to outperform them again either, why do you think there was no 88 TurboRegal but you could get an 88 Cutlass or Monte??

Oooh.

Where can I get a poster? I want to hear more drivetrain ideas. I'm curious about the inline 6 idea, but with a SC instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my turbo. The SC has the advantage of "instant on". That's the thing I've always liked about my GTP. You drop the pedal and it goes NOW. It just kind of runs out of poop on the top end, but that's mostly a breathing problem.

Chevrolet would never allow Buick to outperform them again either, why do you think there was no 88 TurboRegal but you could get an 88 Cutlass or Monte??

That has nothing to do with it. The rear drive G-body went away in 87 technically. The 88s were 87 left overs that no one bought.

As far as not having any 88 Buicks, Buick was slated to make 10,000 87 Gns. By the time they were done filling orders, they were over 20,000 produced. There just weren't any left for 88.

All the monte and cutlass buyers bought Regals instead.... :D

Actually the 88 Monte Carlo's and Cutlass models came to be so they could be used for 1 more year in Winston cup racing as the W body Lumina and Cutlass models were not quite ready. The 88's were NOT left over 87's as there are some minute differences in the 88 models. Being the owner of a very late build 88 Monte SS I can tell you that there were some differences in the body of the 88 compared to the 87's I have had.
The 88 Montes and Cutlass' were built during the same extended time period that the extended build 87 GN's were built. As a matter of fact, the last Monte Carlo was built on the same day as the last GN. All of the 88 models also went down the same Pontiac assembly line that our beloved Turbo Buicks were built on. A little tidbit........the 1988 model year is the only year from 83-88 where they made more SS models than the standard sport coupes.

You are absolutly correct on that. And they were all built on the Pontiac MI assembly line. I know at my dealership(Chevy) the district sales office dumped a **** load of 87 Aerocoupes on us saying if we wanted any more LS and SS models we had to take these. One nice thing is they had a real nice discount on them making them cheaper than the standard SS. As far as the 87 and 88's being leftovers if I remember correctly Buick dealers in my area were actually getting sticker plus for any Regal and at that time any RWD with a shifter on the column was the prefered choice of any body older than 50. Personally I think the new GTO is going to be a sales flop. Over on www.pontiac.com there was an interview from one of the Pontiac club newsletters where the general manager for PMD said they are just using that car to bring people into the showrooms, because they think the GTO is such a niche vehicle that they dont even think that they will sell all 10,000 of them. Boy, when one of the top guys has no confidence in the products he sells how do you think everyone else feels. I wouldn't mind seeing a new RWD Buick with say a SC 3800 or even an LS6 like the Caddy CTS-V but than it wouldn't be a REAL Buick with a Chevy motor in it.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Actually the 88 Monte Carlo's and Cutlass models came to be so they could be used for 1 more year in Winston cup racing

i don't recall Oldsmobile still being in winston cup. I can't find pictures anywhere of an 87-88 style cutlass in winston cup form. I'll buy the monte SS excuse but not for the cutlass.

TRFanatic, accually GM does own the writes to the Grand National name. Just ask any GN vendor. They don't own the writes to the GNX name. So we can make all the clone stuff we want and GM can't do a thing. This is straigh from the mouth of Dennis himself. Not that I want to boost his ego anymore than it already is, but at BG I spoke to a lot of vendors whom all got notices on Trademark infringments.

Ryan

yeah the Grand National/T-Type name is still registered under GM...the GNX wasn't built/modified by GM...rather by ASC/Mclaren...so no copyright laws there

I have finally devised a plan. We must build an executive robot. He will be all brown-noseish and work up to be the head of buick. I think a robot would be smart enough to do that. Once that happens we hit the remote control switch and have it authorize a few concepts and move them strait into production ;)

Ugh

I think the design concept is hideous. Sorry, but the old GN's had so much 'character' in the angular (but non-aerodynamic) body style. This new conception looks so much like yet ANOTHER one of GM's bars of soap.

In my view, if GM were to build another GN (and I doubt VERY seriously if you will EVER see another true performance Buick) it should look very retro, similar to what Ford did with the Mustang.

These new rounded off noses and trunks of the new cars today - while being more efficient in the wind tunnel - have absolutely no individual identity.

The GTO? While it's a good idea, it looks ridiculous. No character, no personality, just GM trying to cash in on a name.

If they can't build something better all around than the old muscle car used to be then they should leave the name alone. A GN is not a GN unless it has a Turbo, RWD, a big fat trunk and a back seat you can put 3 people in. It needs to absolutely ooze attitude with a kiss my ass kind of look, not look like like yet another one of GM's soul-less vehicles.

Using an import (sorry, but the Autstralian built platform is an import in my view) is just another case of GM's total lack of engineering and market savvy.

Leave the GN and GNX dead unless the new product is befitting of the name. This 'concept' does NOT fit that criteria.

Well said Raven. I think a new 20 year commemorative GN should come out in 2006 but it has to be a v6 turbo RWD, maybe with a GS retro look. Buick is going to a RWD platform soon anyway.