Buick? Carb (long and silly)

b4black

Buick? Carb (long)

OK so I find this on ebay:
Buick Carburetor - VERY nice! Tested, Q-JET!

Always keeping an eye open for a good deal on a Turbo V6 carb, I click on it. The description is a MILE long, but here's some highlights:
VERY beautiful ......definitely a “10” in our opinion......Engineered for certain specific stock Buick........optimum operating order.......NOT for computer controlled vehicles

Our reference number is R4478BUICK. Please decide for yourself before bidding whether or not this carburetor is correct for the vehicle you wish to install it on by inspecting the photos we have shown here. If you are not sure, ASK BEFORE YOU BID! It’s not new, but we dare you find a new one that looks better than this!

This particular carburetor was stock on six years (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986) of Buick Century and possibly some other models, with the 305 or 350 Federal emissions engine or Canadian models,we are awae if WILL fit some Chevy 350 or 400 small block Chevy GMC......

Humm, I thought they said Buick? Now SBC? I don't recall Centurys coming with SBC's, especially in 82 and later, since they were FWD!!!! And almost all GM cars 81 and up had ECM's (I can't think of any that didn't). So I send an e-mail. If I could just get a 1708**** number, I could figure out if it's something I want or not. Easy, huh?

So I send:
What is the model number on the carb? (1708****) I want to determine the model/year, because it can't be as listed. 1982-86 Buick Centurys did not use Q-Jets or Small Block Chevys (they were V6 and FWD). Also all US cars used computers from '81 on. Thanks

And I get another book:
Hi eBAy bidder b4black,

Thanks for contacting Recarbco with your carburetor inquiry! The OEM number for this particular part number that we use (R4478BUICK) for the carburetor in question could be one of literally SCORES of OEM Rochester numbers. If you would like to know ALL of the possible Rochester numbers that are appropriate to this application, please send us a S.A.S.E. envelope, and we will be happy to mail the several page this would correspond to (it would just take to long to type in). However, in order to
help you clarify which carburetor we mean, here are just a few OEM numbers to refer to: 17067254,17078297,17079902,17081226,17083276,

Actually not ALL U.S. cars used computers from 1981 and on. The carburetor in question meets the Federal emissions standards, (i.e.: NOT California emissions) which have different requirements than the State of California, which may be most of which you have seen. But these non-computer carbs are, indeed, fairly rare if compared to the huge numbers on computer controlled carbs used during that same time period. That's why we felt the eBay bidder who needs one of these for his car would probably be VERY happy to see one finally available, as they have been getting harder and harder to find. This particular carb is a Rochester model M4ME, not the model E4Mc's or E4ME's you may be familiar with (the "E" in the model name denotes "electonic control").

If the succesful bidder does not wish to immediately mount this carburetor on his vehicle, this one is certainly attractive enough for presentation purposes with the extra plated parts (not all of which are easily viewed in the photo), say as a prize at the local car club awards dinner, or whatever.

Feel free to let us know what particular carburetor you are looking for if this is not appropriate for your needs!

Thanks again for contacting Recarbco!

Greg

I just want the number off the carb. :rolleyes:
So it's some rare carb for some strange SBC powered FWD Century that somehow meets Federal (but not CA) emissions standards without an ECM. And not only that, but it's also correct for so many other cars that it requires a SASE. WOW, holy beautiful magic carb Batman! It really would make a great "prize". :D

Looks like something I would build....it definatly has to be a home rebuild and it ain't for the '81 and up. I've seen these before and the parts on it reflect Q-Jets from '78-80. Just my gut feelings....:rolleyes:

Looks like my 78 to me. It has to be worth something for all that polish?