Bug reports on C-Com WP

Craig Smith

That was easy!
We have recently heard a lot about two problems in C-Com WP that I would like to tell everyone what we have found about them and how to resolve them.

The first problem addresses a couple other active threads here, and that is the problem with the floating cursor in a 3D table (VE table, spark table, target a/f table) showing half of the RPM value shown in the dashboard. As mentioned here in another post, I was able to duplicate this problem in a table using a dashboard WITHOUT scaled RPM as one of the sensors. If I had just RPM, the cursor would show half of the value shown in the RPM sensor. It was immediately cured by adding the scaled RPM sensor to that dashboard. If anyone is experiencing this problem with the scaled RPM sensor in the dashboard for that table, please reply to this post and let me know that.

The second problem has to do with data in the 2D tables (warmup enrichment, idle speed, etc.) being corrupted, often resulting in large spikes and dips in the graph. We have found that this is caused when the user uses the up and down arrow keys to manipulate points on the graph. When you hold down the up/down arrow keys to raise and lower the graphs, the PC attempts to send a command to the ECU for every teeny little step shown in the graph. For example, if you are trying to raise a value from 10 to 20, and the steps are in .1 increments, there will be 100 increments to be made in order for this to happen. Holding down the arrow key to get there causes these increments to happen at a much higher speed. Because of a variance in the method and rate at which Windows sends these commands to the ECU, this can overload the ECU and corrupt the data in that graph. You won't see it on the screen until you close the graph and reopen it. The way to avoid this is to avoid holding down the arrow keys to edit these graphs. You can either type in the value that you want at that point, use the mouse to drag the line to the desired location, or use one of the trim functions (additive, percentage, etc.) to alter that value.

We will be addressing both of these issues in future versions of C-Com WP, hopefully very soon. Hopefully this answers a lot of questions for a lot of people. It was difficult for us to figure out how to duplicate these problems, but once we did it was much easier to find a resolution. Thanks to everyone for your input and patience on all this.

Again, if anyone finds anything that contradicts the findings I am reporting here, please reply to this post with specific information on what you have done.

Since I know this will be the next thing that everyone will ask, I have NO idea how we are going to handle upgrades at this point. Please allow us some time to get that figured out. We want everyone to have a properly working version of C-Com WP and we are on the case. In the mean time, the workarounds described above should yield good results. Thanks again to everyone for your input!

Thanks.

When the fix becomes available, is this something we can just download from the website? Or snailmail? Thanks again!

I didnt notice the cursor in a different RPM range, but I did notice after a few minutes of running and editing blocks the cursor would get jerkey instead of smooth, almost like watching an ALDL data stream. Every second or so it wouild stop, then move, then stop, then move. Sometimes closing that window would remedy it, sometimes I had to shut down C-Com and restart it. Sometimes even that didnt work. I havent narrowed down WHEN it happens, but it did happen. This is on a Win XP laptop Runing a Celery 900 w/128 meg ram. I dont *think* its a PC hardware issue, but as with anything, it could be. FWIW, its a Dell Inspiron 2500. Any known issues on these machines?

Jim I'm not sure if this is what you did or my laptop sucks but I noticed that if a have a couple of graphs and things up in the back ground that the cursor on idle will stop for a while then move, I shut all the things down and only have that one open and it is fine.:confused:

Communications slow down if you have 14 or more unique dash sensors appearing. This applies to all active screens. Not a bug, this is just the way it is. If you had the SAME dash up for all the screens you had open, you would notice that it wouldn't slow down. It only happens with 14 or more unique sensors.

Nope, only had the VE table up. I dont remember what dashboard I was looking at. Could have been a 14 sensor one. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in the garage will check it out.

I did the Scaled rpm and it worked
No bubble problem for a week now but my T68 turbo broke........:D

I had trouble with it locking up on me. When switching the ignition off, the two red lights would stay on, not go off. When I fired it back up, no communication. Hit F2 and it would switch comm off then hit it again and it would go back live but would lock up sometimes. Kinda sucked waiting in the lanes then when you get called up you gotta fiddle with everything and wait for my steam powered laptop to finally fire up. (P75 w/ 32M of RAM running W98).

BTW, I DO like the comm port issue being gone, comm comes right on line the first time. With DOS, this was my sequence to get C-com to work

c:\ CC (enter)
(cc would start - no comm so exit)
c:\ CC Com 2 (enter)
(cc would start - no comm so exit)
c:\ CC Com 4 (enter)
communication established.

It wouldn't work if you tried cc com4 from the get go. I had to go through all this everytime.

Over all, I like the WP much better.