Budget garage lighting options?

GN One Day...

The over head light isn't cutting it. I don't have any real money for this, so I'm looking for something useful but very budget. I want to do some serious detailing at night.
Not sure if I should get a stand up flourescent, mount some flourescents or even some kind of floods that I can direct where I need it, from a corner in the garage, for a lot of light in a certain place.
Key is budget as much as functional. Not so much appearance right now.

What have you guys done?

i would go with some flourescent lights they work the best for detailing. especially if you are going to be buffing seems scratches show up better under them.

the only draw back to that is the lighting on the top of the car would not be as good. you could also build a stand with some lights on it that is portable if you dont want to spoend that much money on lights and would not mind spending some time fabricating a stand.

check a previous post by "ez at nova"

on this subject some time this past September. o a search on "Lighting in new garage - suggestions / experience" maybe it can be of help.

I mounted 15 shop lights I got from Lowes/Home Depot to the ceiling of my 2 car garage. Ran a new circuit out to the garage and have them on 3 switches so I don't have to have them all on at the same time. Probably about $300 invested in lights, wire, breaker, switches.

Finally got the garage floor painted with epoxy paint and also painted the ceilings and wall white. Previous owner had painted the walls a pea green! Installed new insulated garage doors and this weekend put in a new rear entrance door. Can't believe I am almost done with this project.

That's a lot of lights!

About the floor paint:
Does that help resist oil stains etc? Does it last under tires turning? Also, did you have any oil stains beforehand, and did it affect the paint setting on the surface?
That's something else I've considered. :)

Paints only been down about a month now. And I have only driven the car about twice since then. I have small sections of pegboard down where the tires rest and that seems to work out pretty good.

I never seem to have too much trouble with the paint holding up in my garages. The one in my condo I owned still looked good after almost 10 years, that was using Sears garage floor paint, nothing special. I used Behr Epoxy garage floor paint from the Depot. Two coats, painted half at a time so the GN didn't have to sit outside.

how big is your garage? is it connected to the house and do you have heat in there. i would just save up a few hundred and get so me 8 ft. ho flourescents. there a bit expensive if your on a budget but well wor th it. you could also get some 4 ft. lights with electronic ballats in them, they actually start up quicker than hos in colder weather and give you pretty good light. there actually brighter than regualler flourescents and draw less current you definatelly dont wont to slack off with the lighting in the garage, especially with what you do. do it once and do it right.:D

check around you area for a salvage yard... I just picked up 40+ 6ft #4 row with the balace and (Balbs) for $15.00 each.....;) Most look Brand New. You cant get the balbs for that if you buy New..;)

Matt