broken push rod question

ls14gn

Had a problem with my GN this week, found it to be a broken pushrod. The car has adjustable pushrods and I bought the car the way it is set up...no idea of the cam in the motor although it idles and runs smooth. I am putting a good set of used rockers in the car (the pushrod end went through one) and am replacing the pushrods...I've got two opinions. One says stay with another set of adjustables. The other says use a stock set of the length is right (which I have yet to measure.) Both of my opinions come from current GN owners who have done motor work. Assuming I have no cam problem and the pushrod will fix the problem, which way would be best to go with the pushrods? Stock or adjustable??

ls14gn said:
.......... which way would be best to go with the pushrods? Stock or adjustable??
There is no question adjustables have more parts that can break. IMHO however, any motor without adjustability in the valve train will greatly benefit from adjustables to get the correct pre-load. Adjustables have been around for a long time and work well if set-up correctly.

This question is smiliar to:
"Dino or Synthetic oil" They both work well but experiences will vary.

I would measure, and go with 1 piece pushrods. You can use one of your adjustables to get the correct length. My concern is, what caused the pushrod to damage your rocker and break. My guess would be valve to piston contact, or broken rocker shaft. Which valve was it? Brian

If you're going to stay with hydraulic lifters, then a one-piece pushrod of the correct length will maintain the right preload, without the extra weight and the extra pieces of the adjustable pushrods. The adjustable rocker arms are better, and stronger, and most have higher lift- but they are $$$.

Ormand said:
If you're going to stay with hydraulic lifters, then a one-piece pushrod of the correct length will maintain the right preload, without the extra weight and the extra pieces of the adjustable pushrods.
Will the extra weight make a noticible difference if you spin at 5000 - 5300 rpm?