Broke engine Monte carlo hot air

Auke

Hello everybody,

i'm new on this forum. I hope somebody can help me. I'm from the Netherlands and own a 1981 Chevrolet monte carlo turbo. The engine is broken. A local american car garage can offer me a 231 3,8 v6 NON turbo 1978 oldsmobile omega engine with 60.000 miles. Will this engine fit without any changes in my monte carlo? My turbo and other parts are in fine condition. So i want to make from the non turbo oldsmobile engine a turbo engine.

here some pictures of my monte carlo :
http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/a...-3-8v6turbo-wegenbelastingvrij-106134649.html

I'm not positive on anything I'm about to say but my guess would be that it will not work. I would guess that the N/A motor wouldn't have the oil fittings in the block. I'm not saying you couldn't add them but at that point you might as well just redo your block...By the way, how'd you break yours/what broke

A piece at the top of one piston is broken. Cilinderhead is also attackt by the pieces piston.

It will work. The heads will need to be changed over to your current heads. 1978 and earlier used low port heads, and then 1979-1987 used high port heads. Everything will bolt up to the short block. (Oil return is through the intake manifold, not the block like on 86/87 engines.)

The turbo motor did have some better internal parts, but assuming you are staying fairly stock with the motor, the non-turbo engine will do just fine. Just make you figure out what caused the piston damage on the original motor so it doesn't happen again. Either too much boost, or too much knock (or both).

That's a gorgeous car. :)

A piece at the top of one piston is broken. Cilinderhead is also attackt by the pieces piston.

Ah, you will need a new cylinder head (for either motor). Any head from 1979/87 rear wheel drive 231 should work.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to look for a low milage turbo or no turbo engine from 1979- 1985 231 v6 rwd .

I also searched for a new (rebuild ) engine on ebay. Couldn't find anything. Only rebuild kits. Any ideas maybe ? Need a seller which sells to europe.

It will work. The heads will need to be changed over to your current heads. 1978 and earlier used low port heads, and then 1979-1987 used high port heads. Everything will bolt up to the short block. (Oil return is through the intake manifold, not the block like on 86/87 engines.)

The turbo motor did have some better internal parts, but assuming you are staying fairly stock with the motor, the non-turbo engine will do just fine. Just make you figure out what caused the piston damage on the original motor so it doesn't happen again. Either too much boost, or too much knock (or both).

That's a gorgeous car. :)

And thats why I said I was guessing, cause I have no idea :D

What you might want to do is look at www.beforeblack.net and GnTtype.org for some info on the system. Like Rich said, the head design was changed in 79 but the bottom halves were basically the same from 77.5 up to the end of the RWD blocks. the turbo engines did get better pistons and a crank with rolled fillets but if you're not planning on hot rodding it then I wouldn't worry about it.;)

ALso, if you do end up putting another engine in, make sure you keep all your old stuff. Don't get rid of anything, never know when you could use it. If it was me I'd rebuild the one you have if possible. There isn't really any tricks to them. As long as the clearances are correct you will be fine. We could walk you through the assembly.

This motor will work just like other posts have stated you'll need to switch heads. I have an 81 Monte with the 3.8 turbo myself and have looked into this myself.

Thank you. I found a 1979 231 rwd engine with low miles.

I have one question. What about the oil line to the turbo? Do I need another oil pump ?

May be a good idea to do oil pan and rear seal while it's out and timing chain. Even a cheap melling timing chain will be better than what's in there.

Thank you. I found a 1979 231 rwd engine with low miles.

I have one question. What about the oil line to the turbo? Do I need another oil pump ?
You can take the cover off and blue print the timing cover/oil pump so you've got good oil pressure. If you need a link 1 of us should be able post it for you. I agree with Jesse on the timing chain. It's cheap insurance.;)

That's a very nice monte carlo. I'd love to have something like that. Take your time with it and get it together right.

Hello everyone,

the engine is finally in the monte carlo. Last week I had a few days off and I installed the engine. Now I have a problem. They have removed the esc controller from my monte carlo. The engine runs @ arround 1000 rpm the engine shakes. When I'm driving the monte carlo it sometimes backfires. Before I only had the shaking engine. No backfires. Would the engine be broken because the ESC system has been removed? How can I redirect the esc system and get the motor running well?

On my 79 Lesabre, which is being prepped for NHRA Stock Eliminator, I was told by a former Buick racer you can use a N/A distributor to eliminate the ESC.