broke a bolt off in motor

boost jnky

hey guys i was working on my other ride the other day. i was removing the lower intake and broke a bolt off where the lower monifold bolts to the block.what would be the best way to get it out, any ideas?

An "easy out" (available at Sears.) You may have to drill a start hole in the bolt. If you have the maifold off tape up every hole you can find to keep shaving out of the engine. If the manifold is on you should run the hole with a magnet to get any metal out also. Just use common sense and remember that a small sliver of metal is bigger than the clearance in your bearings.

If you broke it while removing the intake chances are there is a stub you can grab with some vise grips. If so work slowly and use some penatrating oil (not just WD-40 I like aero-kroil) soak it and work it. If not and its broken on below the intake mating surface you will end up with the E-Z out BE CAREFUL!!!!! The cast iron of the head is softer than the bolt. Center punch and use a careful hand with the drill. I have had both the drill bit AND the EZ out break off in the bolt. Both will require a head removal and a trip to the machine shop.
Some will disagree but I will drill the bolt and then heat the surrounding area with a torch.... Just make it hot @ 250-275 degrees if you have an infrared thermomiter. This has helped me in the past. Good Luck Jon Hanson

I like reverse twist drill bits to use first, then if that doesnt work using the ez outs. most of the time the drill bit will grab and unscrew the broken bolt.:smile:

Buy the kind of kit that includes the reverse twist drill bits and corresponding EZ-Outs(DON'T buy anything chinese). That way you know you've used the correct size bit for the EZ-Out(a common problem area), and that it won't break off in the bolt(common with chinese crapola). Yes- soak it with a good penetrating lube(Kroil is probably the best), and heat the area just before trying to extract. Cast iron or aluminum will expand more than steel(the bolt), and the extractor will act as a heat sink, even shrinking the bolt a slight bit more. HEY- It works!!