Bringing my GN to the year 2012... I welcome suggested upgrades!

87gnRacine

Hi guys bought an 87 grand natiOnal from a guy who did most of his work 10 years ago+. I'd like to upgrade it to better technology because I'm sure there are way better things out there now. My car runs about 400hp right now, I'm not too concerned about have 1000 horsepower or being alcohol injected. Just want it to be fast and run nice. Thanks, these are some items currently in my car.

Motor rebuild port&pished cylinder heads
Lunety mild can shaft
Turbo te-60
Intercooler rp360a
3" downpipe
Adjustable wastegate
36 pound fuel injectors
Underdrive pulley
Ram air system
Magnacor ignition wires
Pitbull chip
K&n cold air
160 degree thermostat
Typhoon fuel pump
Turbo adjuster
Bosh fuel pressure regulator
Engine tie down strap ( need to change immediately, motor mount suggestions??)

Suspension is good, I'm just concerned with the guts of the car :)

Thanks!

Looks like you have a pretty good set up and all the basic mods done....If I was too start with you got I would get a Turbo Tweak chip with some 60lb injectors....HR Parts n Stuff sells some good motor mounts for our turbo motors....What boost you at currently??

Hmmm...Billet turbo (not needed)..bigger injectors...new chip....new sticky tires... That should spice things up a bit :)

Edit: x2 on the HR parts motor mounts mentioned above.

Get rid of that tie down strap before you break the eyelet off the tensioner. HR Parts and Stuff poly driver side mount with a good stock passenger mount is all you need. I make over 400rwhp and the motor doesn't move even with just the one HR mount. Here's a vid with less power but the motor doesn't move now any more than it did that day.

thanks for all the help, sorry i wanna correct my turbo... i have a te-44 not a te-60. i want to upgrade to a te-60. 36 pound injectors should run fine with the 44 setup currently am i right? i just ordered a tt chip, powerlogger scanner, and an ls1 maf with translator... should point me in the right direction. i was also warned about my underdrive pulley and to remove it. What is the point of this

What gas are you running? If 93 octane I would turn the boost down. Do you have a scanmaster or knock detector?

My scanmaster is in the mail, I don't have a knock sensor and the car has had 94 octane for the last 19 years

even with 94 oct 22 lbs of Boost is to much. your lucky you haven't broke anything. get the sm, inj & tt chip installed before you do anything else. once you've installed those items then put 100 oct in it, then you can run 22lbs or more as long as you monitor the sm numbers.

Powerlogger, Scanmaster, Turbo Tweak chip, wideband 02 sensor and definetly Alkycontrol kit if you are planning aon running the boost you mentioned. HR for the motor mounts, I always suggest running both sides. My low mileage GN seemed to lean a bit to the passenger side when I only did the driver side. Would think undersize pulleys would be a waste on the street.

Don't forget to consider an Extender chip from Bob Bailey, especially if you have a translator coming. The fuel will adjust automatically if you ever have a boost spike or something. The TT chips don't do that unless you run SD.

Where are you located? Do you have E85? If so, buy a set of 80's and a TT chip from Eric for E85. Then you can run as much boost as you want! ---Jeremy

I'm located in southern Ontario... Apparently the te-44 with 36 injectors was a pretty common combo. Car has been this way since 2002 and has never had a problem. This is my casual driver, I'm not prepared to run 100 octane, I'm fine with 94. If you say it's dangerous than what else would you recommend doing to keep running the same gas?

Am I being naive in saying that I love the way the car performs right now but I don't want to do anything drastic to keep it that way?? ;) last thing I need is for my ride to blow up with these few upgrades I've purchased. My 3.8 has ported and polished cylinder heards with a mild Lunetty cam. If that makes any difference. This is my first turbo car, and it's all very new to me!

Am I being naive in saying that I love the way the car performs right now but I don't want to do anything drastic to keep it that way?? ;) last thing I need is for my ride to blow up with these few upgrades I've purchased. My 3.8 has ported and polished cylinder heards with a mild Lunetty cam. If that makes any difference. This is my first turbo car, and it's all very new to me!

A Lunati cam?

If this is your first car, I'd do what is recommended above (motor mounts, injectors, chip, etc).

Trust me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... ask my car about that one..

To upgrade what you have I would do Reds XP fuel pump,hot wire kit, 42 or 60' s for injectors, TT or Bob Baley's Extreme chip, if your doing Alky kit you can't beat Razors system and with alky 42' s would be more than enough to get it done, wide band O2 like PLX and get rid of the under drive pulleys and replace them with stock or if you have the extra $$ you can purchase RJC pulley' s. With this and a powerlogger, scanmaster, translater and LS1 MAF consider yourself upgraded. But just so you know you can have all the recent upgraded parts but the most important part of a turbo regal is it's tune. Have fun and educate yourself on these awesome cars.

If you dont have E85 available, I would buy a Razor alky kit and just keep the injectors and turbo you have. Thats a good turbo, I love them for a mild set up. If you can spare the change, like posted above, get a set of 60's. Make sure your fuel pump is at least a Walboro and rock it!