Bringing 79 Sport Coupe Back to Life

79T-Bear

Hello all. 15 years ago I was given the 79 Sport Coupe I grew up riding in by my dad. The motor and turbo were rebuilt two years before it was parked but hasn't been started in 17 years. I know that there is rust underneath on the frame and floorboards but I'm determined to put this back on the road. I'm looking for advise on how I should go about trying to start the engine after all of these years of sitting. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Any update? I would see if the motor will turn over by hand with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt.

Chuck

Any update? I would see if the motor will turn over by hand with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt.

Chuck
We actually just pulled it out of the shed last weekend. I pulled all the plugs and lubricated the cylinders. I thought I would let it sit for a week or so. Next weekend I'll try to turn it over by hand and go from there. If it turns over I'll change the oil/filter, put on the rebuilt carb I have, and hook up an external gas can to pull out of and turn the key... I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!
Matt

Well, after 17 years we got the old Buick to fire up today. There was a little smoke and a few leaks but the engine sounded pretty good. Great 1st step!

Here is a picture of her.
0315141436a.jpg