Brakes for GN 12 bolt rears

T

TurboDiverArt

Hi guys,

My stage car as a 12 bolt GM spool, not a Ford 9". For anyone else using one of these, what size shoes do you use? I'm basically too lazy to pop off the slicks as the car's still in the trailer from Bristol but the drums look like the stock Buick aluminum drums. Does the 12 bolt rear use the same size brakes as the stock GN 10 bolt rear? If no one knows then I guess I'll have to pop off the drums and measure them and cross reference them.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Art,

I have quite a few 12 bolts. They all run a 9.5 inch drum. I have seen a few exception's with wider shoes. I would guess that a 70 chevelle 12 bolt application would work for your brakes. The drums are interchangable with a 10 bolt Buick. The wheel cylinder's are different between the two. The 12 bolt wheel cylinder's actually bolt on!:)

Hey Joe,

We missed you this year in Bristol!

Thanks for the reply. First time I did a set of GN brakes I was like, "Where's the bolts?" Truly a case of them moving to a worse design!

I could probably pop a drum off my 69 Camaro and compare, it's got a 12 bolt. I haven't had the rims off the car since I restored it more than 10 years ago, hope I remember how to get them off!

Again, thanks for the info. D